gfci receptacle in kitchen won't reset

Old 12-15-12, 11:19 AM
gfci receptacle in kitchen won't reset

I have a gfi outlet in my kitchen that will not reset. I replaced the old 20 amp gfi receptacle with a new 20 amp gfi receptacle(the type with an indicator light)about three weeks ago. It was working fine until today. There are two receptacles down line from the gfi, one has our stove plugged in and the other has a microwave plugged into it. The stove outlet is in the basement. I turn the power of when working on the wiring and turn it back on to test the gfi. The first thing I did was unplug everything on the circuit. When I did this I noticed the stove plug wasn't completely in its receptacle. With nothing plugged in I tried to reset the gfi, no luck. Next I opened the gfi box and undid the load wires and tried to reset the gfi, no luck. I looked at the wiring in gfi receptacle box. It appeared like the ground wires might be loose so I reconnected them and tried the gfi, it reset. Yea. Then I tripped it, to test it again and now it doesn't reset again.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-12, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
The stove outlet is in the basement.
Assuming this is a SABC (counter top receptacle circuits) that is a code violation if not grandfathered but is probably not the actual problem but should be changed.

Try resetting the GFCI with the load side wires removed and GFCI pulled out of the box.

I replaced the old 20 amp gfi receptacle
Just for your information since you are not in Canada you can use 15 amp GFCIs on 20 amp circuits.

Old 12-15-12, 01:04 PM
ray2047
thanks for your reply.
appreciate the note on the stove receptacle. It is an older home and the other outlet are in the counter backsplash. I'm renovating the kitchen I've. Th next bit, so I'll see about relocating that receptacle.

I opened the gfi box and undid the load wires and tried to reset the gfi, no luck. I looked at the wiring in gfi receptacle box. It appeared like the ground wires might be loose so I reconnected them and tried the gfi, it reset. Then I tripped it, to test it again and now it doesn't reset again.

Thanks for the note about being able to use a 15 amp Gfi

Old 12-15-12, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Replace the GFCI. It is likely bad if it will not reset with nothing connected.

Old 12-15-12, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
If the circuit was hot when you reconnected there's a slight chance you fried the New GFCI. Try installing a different t GFCI.

Old 12-15-12, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll try putting in a new gfi.

Id like to add I've not posted before about this or anything. I find it very helpful

Old 12-15-12, 04:35 PM
I opened the gfi box and undid the load wires and tried to reset the gfi, no luck. I looked at the wiring in gfi receptacle box. It appeared like the ground wires might be loose so I reconnected them and tried the gfi, it reset. Then I tripped it, to test it again and now it doesn't reset again.
Since a GFCI doesn't need a ground to work properly, and since you had the LOAD side unwired when this happened, one of two things should be true: Either you moved a connection you weren't aware of when you were tightening the ground connection - and then it moved again when you tested the receptacle - or the new GFCI is faulty.

Testing for voltage at the GFCI location with an analog multimeter, and testing the GFCI receptacle and any others downstream of it with a GFCI Receptacle Tester (the one with a built-in test button) might help you figure this out more quickly.

Old 12-16-12, 11:53 AM
Nashkat1,
your information is very helpful. I'll double check the connections. I bought a new receptacle and installed without any load connected. It did not work either. I'll try the receptacle tester. I just can't figuere out what I'm missing.

Thsnks again