Wiring an in-wall oven

Old 12-15-12, 04:46 PM
Wiring an in-wall oven

I am the new owner of a used G.E. Profile in-wall oven, model JTP15WD.

I was (am) somewhat shocked to see that the hardwired cable, in metallic flexible conduit, is 16 gauge wire.

I found the 'quick facts' document on G.E.'s website here: http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...=003679244.PDF

Page 2 of that document explicitly calls for a 20 amp breaker.

I have a few questions:

1. 16 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker just seems too puny to me. I just need someone to reassure me that these are, in fact, the appropriate values for this oven.

2. Can I use 12 gauge Romex for this circuit? I believe this is the right gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit.

3. I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway: can I use 12/2 with ground on this circuit, or do I need to install a 3-conductor (plus ground) cable?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-12, 05:17 PM
I was (am) somewhat shocked to see that the hardwired cable, in metallic flexible conduit, is 16 gauge wire.
If that's high temperature (appliance) wire, it should be fine. The full draw of your oven is 15A (3600W/240A), according to the information on the link you posted.

I am the new owner of a used G.E. Profile in-wall oven...
So this oven has already been in service with that whip supplying it, and there hasn't been a problem with that?

To answer your specific questions:

1. 16 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker just seems too puny to me. I just need someone to reassure me that these are, in fact, the appropriate values for this oven.
Sounds right, according to the information from G.E.

2. Can I use 12 gauge Romex for this circuit? I believe this is the right gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit.
You could, but Type NM (aka Romex) isn't rated for high temperature environments.

3. I'm afraid I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway: can I use 12/2 with ground on this circuit, or do I need to install a 3-conductor (plus ground) cable?
You should know the answer to this -- the answer is that you need to match the wiring in the whip that came with the oven.

Old 12-15-12, 06:40 PM
You could, but Type NM (aka Romex) isn't rated for high temperature environments.
Is the cable run from the breaker box to the junction box behind the oven considered a high temperature environment? I plan on using a metal box, mounted inside the wall behind the cabinet, with a metal faceplate through which the hardwired oven cable will attach. Is it acceptable to use NM cable for that cable run?

Old 12-15-12, 06:44 PM
Yes. The 12-2 NM-B cable (aka Romex) will feed an accessible junction box and the oven's whip will also connect to that junction box. The instructions call out the oven as 240 volt so no neutral is needed, just two hots and one ground. The whip should have two insulated hot wires and one green or bare ground wire.

I plan on using a metal box, mounted inside the wall behind the cabinet, with a metal faceplate through which the hardwired oven cable will attach. Is it acceptable to use NM cable for that cable run?
Your plan is fine as long as the metal junction box remains accessible and it is properly grounded.

Old 12-15-12, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
That is an excellent question. I just always use MC (metal clad) so I've never given it a second thought.

My opinion only:
I'd have to say no.....that is not considered a high temperature setup because those ovens are usually just mounted in wood cabinets. Wood would not be considered high heat capable.

Old 12-15-12, 09:13 PM
Is the cable run from the breaker box to the junction box behind the oven considered a high temperature environment?
No. Type NM (aka Romex) is fine for that. I thought you were asking about the type of wire that would be needed to replace the wire feeding into the oven.

Yes, 12-2/G for the home run, protected by a 20A 240V breaker.

I plan on using a metal box, mounted inside the wall behind the cabinet, with a metal faceplate through which the hardwired oven cable will attach. Sounds good. You might want to use a 90[SUP]o[/SUP] connector to secure the cable to the faceplate.