Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Cut wires for an outlet, there was a spark now the outlet does not work

Cut wires for an outlet, there was a spark now the outlet does not work

Old 12-17-12, 09:35 AM
Red face Cut wires for an outlet, there was a spark now the outlet does not work

Hi. I turned off all the power to my house, so I thought. I've done electrical work on my house often, such as replacing outlets and light fixtures so I felt comfortable enough to assume that the power was off to the outlet. Anyway, I was moving the outlet to the ceiling in my garage so I could plug my garage door opener directly into it. I needed the wire to be shorter so I cut it with my wire cutter and sparks and fire came from the wire. I searched my attic and house to shut down the electricity to the wire. I could not find it so I continued to install it on the ceiling. But now the outlet does not work. Is there a way that I can restore power to this outlet???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would say when the sparks flew, it shorted & threw the breaker. Look at all your breakers very closely. Look for one that is kinda "half thrown". Its not completely on, but not completely all the way off either. It will be toward the on side but not all the way to that side.
Just flip it off & back on.

Old 12-17-12, 09:47 AM
I think you have a bigger issue at hand. I don't think you want to restore power to the outlet at this point anyway.

If you had, or thought you had cut power to the house completely and this circuit was still energized, that's more of a concern at this point. I'd start with fixing that part first, but I think this involves a certified electrician. I can change an outlet or a light fixture, but there's no way I'd be touching that issue with a 10' pole.

Old 12-17-12, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I went back & read his post again. If he indeed turned off ALL power to the house & he still had a live wire.... by all means he should contact an electrician..

Old 12-17-12, 10:17 AM
Smile Thanks for all your advice, but I fixed it

I went in the attic and followed the wires and found a breaker box outside my house as well. I fixed it, thank GOD!

Old 12-17-12, 10:21 AM
Thanks for your advice, but my garage had a separate breaker box outside my house. I just had to flick the breaker switch back. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-12, 10:23 AM
Good to hear you found that. Always good to know how to quickly power down all electrical in the house just in case of an emergency.

Old 12-17-12, 10:31 AM
I was moving the outlet to the ceiling in my garage so I could plug my garage door opener directly into it.
Glad you got it figured out and got the power back on, but one question:

By current code, all receptacles in a garage must be GFCI protected, including those in the ceiling for garage door openers. Is the receptacle a GFCI, or is it fed from a GFCI breaker?

Old 12-17-12, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
I know you know now but never assume. Always test with a multimeter or test light or last resort a non contact tester and always work on a circuit, even if your sure it is dead, as if it is hot.