Location of a generator transfer switch

Old 12-17-12, 10:28 AM
Red face Location of a generator transfer switch

I posted this into another thread that was old, then realized that it really was a seperate question so I am starting a new thread. Mods, sorry for the duplicate post. If you need to kill one, kill the other one please.

I am adding a transfer switch to an existing house. Is there any restriction as to where I can mount the transfer switch? I am planning to use this Reliance 6 circuit 7500 watt switch.
Amazon.com: Reliance Controls 31406CRK Pro/Tran 6-Circuit 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch Kit With Transfer Switch, 10-Foot Power Cord, And Power Inlet Box For Up To 7,500-Watt Generators: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I will be feeding it from a pair of Honda generators that are linked up like this set:
Honda EU2000i Parallel Combo Package Generators WiseSales.com

Normally these transfer switches go next to the breaker panel. Mine is in the basement. My wife has problems with the stairs. So I would like to put the transer switch on the main floor to make it easier for her to manage loads during generator use if I am out of town. I will have 3200 working watts/4000 peak watts available so I would like to be able to turn circuits off to prevent loads from coming on.

I would run appropriate wire for each run, 14 gauge for 15 amp circuits and 12 gauge for 20 amp circuits. Line coming in from generator would be 10/3.

There will be an L5-30P at the generator side to mate up with the L5-30R in the Honda Companion generator.
There will be an L14-30R at the house end of the cord to go to the L14-30P in the inlet box.

Black and Red will be joined at the generator side as the generator only puts out 120V, not 240. This will feed both legs of the Reliance switch. However, if I go to a larger generator in the future, the inlet and panel will already be wired for the higher capacity 240V system. I will only be running 120V loads in the house.

Here is the generator to house cord:
10 Gauge 3-wire 30A 25ft (4-prong female, 3-prong male) WiseSales.com

Or I will use this adapter with a regular L14-30P cord and use this adapter which will cross the red and black to feed both sides of the Reliance panel. - have not decided how I will do this.
Search

I can't see that having the transfer switch 1 floor up will matter, but thought it worth asking.

Ed

Last edited by aeajr; 12-17-12 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
They make this for 120v only loads.

https://www.gentran.net/eshop/10Expa...uctCode=300660

The switch you linked to is pre wired and you would need to rewire it.

How will you join the two hots? You mean tie the black and red together in the transfer switch?

The electricians will be on shortly to assist.

Old 12-17-12, 11:10 AM
The device you linked to, the Reliance Controls 31406CRK Pro/Tran 6-Circuit 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch Kit With Transfer Switch, 10-Foot Power Cord, And Power Inlet Box For Up To 7,500-Watt Generators is a transfer panel, not a transfer switch. It will transfer the incoming power from the utility feed to your generator inlet and provide the standby power to the circuits you relocate to it.

I would like to be able to turn circuits off to prevent loads from coming on.
Are you planning to relocate circuits to this panel that will draw more than 3200 working watts/4000 peak watts, and then switch some off and others on?

I will be feeding it from a pair of Honda generators that are linked up like this set:
Honda EU2000i Parallel Combo Package Generators WiseSales.com
It's your money, but before I spent more than $2,000 for a couple of portable generators that can only power a couple of fully loaded 15A circuits, I would get a price for a standby generator with an automatic transfer switch that could back up most, if not all, of the loads in the house.

Unless you already own the two portable generators, of course.

Old 12-17-12, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Old 12-17-12, 01:44 PM
Exactly, Law. You can see how much more that will do for essentially the same money. Plus it kicks in automatically.

I didn't see where it said it's self-testing, but I bet it is. It might be a requirement.