Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Bathroom "Good/Quick/Cheap" and aesthetic switch/receptacle

Old 12-17-12, 08:07 PM

Had two gang box on the left in a 6" stud bay with a HVAC vent on the right into the bath between the switch and the door. I've installed a vent and planned on installing a 3 gang box to hold the light switch, the vent switch/timer, and the non-GFI receptacle. Except I'm 1/2" short. The next stud bay has the HVAC into the bedroom and with my luck the vent is also be on the right so I'm afraid I can't simply put the receptacle on the other side of the stud and live with two face plates. "If" the vent is 10" that leaves me 6" on the other side for a new work box so I can probably place the receptacle between the vent and the vanity wall.

But I'm looking for suggestions. Mount the receptacle below the switches?

I also hate the thought of having to run a circuit for a GFI only because the main box is in the ell at the far end of the ranch with a 24" access through the rafters. That said, should I suck up and do it?

TIA

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
If you don't need two places to plug in you could use a combo switch/receptacle instead of a separate switch and receptacle. That way you only need a two gang box.

Note the receptacle must be a GFCI if it is in the bathroom. You can get combos that have a GFCI receptacle.

Old 12-17-12, 09:26 PM
I also hate the thought of having to run a circuit for a GFI only because the main box is in the ell at the far end of the ranch with a 24" access through the rafters. That said, should I suck up and do it?
Yes. It's in your bathroom, so it absolutely needs to be GFCI protected. Some hair dryers draw 1800W, so it needs to be a dedicated 20A circuit.

Old 12-18-12, 04:51 AM
I'd like the fan to be on a timer switch so I think I'll double gang the light/fan at switch height and run the 20 amp GFI to a single. Any limitations on where I place the GFI receptacle? I've 13" between the two gang and the vanity right side back splash. Can I place it midway between the switches and vanity?

Since I have to do all the crawling around, I may as well get the GFI in the hall bath too. Any concerns over them both on the same circuit?

Ron

Last edited by Shiseiji; 12-18-12 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Read some more on GFIs
Old 12-18-12, 06:24 AM
The GFCI must be on a 20A circuit, wired with 12AWG wire, within 36'' of the sink, and listed tamper-resistant. The receptacle circuit can be shared with multiple bathrooms.

Last edited by pcboss; 12-18-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-18-12, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Justin is correct but the lights can't be on the same circuit as the receptacle if shared with another bathroom.

Old 12-18-12, 09:34 AM
Since I have to do all the crawling around, I may as well get the GFI in the hall bath too. Any concerns over them both on the same circuit?
No, as Ray already noted. If you'd like to, you can install one GFCI receptacle, in the bathroom that's closer to the panel, and wire off the LOAD terminals there to protect a standard tamper-resistant receptacle in the second bathroom.

Old 12-18-12, 12:01 PM
Thanks Justin & Ray! The new circuit will be dedicated to the GHI(s) so no worries over lights or fans etc. KISS. Wanted to be sure the installation looked proper too. Appreciate you sharing you knowledge.

Ron

Old 12-18-12, 01:12 PM
LOL, OK, I'm Ignorant, How Does a Pro Handle This?

OK, so the panel is installed flush with no access to above the panel to secure a new run. How is this handled? There open knock-outs in the bottom. I'm "assuming" they are supposed to be plugged? Less and less impressed with the electrician . . . other things I've noted I won't bother going over. I guess I was spoiled with basement and garage panels LOL

TIA

Ron

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  51.4 KB

Old 12-18-12, 01:18 PM
Do you want to come in the top or the bottom?

Old 12-18-12, 02:53 PM
Top, sorry for not stating that. When I went to get the wire, old work boxes, receptacles, etc., I bought trim to trim out an access panel above the electrical panel, unless there's another way. This is where I love my GF the most. She takes it all pretty much in stride.

R

Old 12-18-12, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
I was going to suggest a permanent access panel but you beat me to it. I was going to suggest a ready made one from plumbing but I'm sure your idea will workk fine.

Old 12-18-12, 03:11 PM
There open knock-outs in the bottom. I'm "assuming" they are supposed to be plugged?
Yes. They should sell seals, or plugs (aka "push-pennies"), for those where you picked up the wire and other materials: Knock Out Plug

Note that you may have to buy more than one size, if the open KOs are different diameters.

Old 12-18-12, 04:36 PM
Again thanks, I didn't really think there was any miracle hardware, but better to ask. I have plugs from other jobs, just wanted to be sure I wasn't throwing stones out of turn. I've come to suspect the guy I hired to replace the panel and rerun the non-code wire to the garage saved some pennies by re-using a panel he had, hence the knock-outs in the bottom where I didn't have any wire runs in the original panel. But I'm wondering if he really pulled new wire all the way to the panel as the blown-in insulation didn't look like it had been crawled through across the whole house to the ell where the panel is. The old panel was maxed out and of all things didn't have a whole house switch/breaker. I have one now and had a whole house surge protector installed at the same time. I suppose it's possible he knocked out the wrong spots for the surge protector, but he sure didn't fill them. And Fairfax County signed off on the install.

"push-pennies"

I use to bug my grandfather to take me to the houses under construction to get the "nickles." :-) would have been in the mid to late 60's. I updated my bio to include, "Jack of 'Willing to tackle about anything.'" figuring ignorance is correctable. And I get to learn something along the way.

I'm making a list of everything I want to get done while I'm up there, just pitched up four 48" X 32" X 1/2" plywood to minimize my opportunity to put a foot through the ceiling. Already have one popped drywall fastener to redo and patch :-(

Thanks all.

Old 12-18-12, 04:55 PM
I'm wondering if he really pulled new wire all the way to the panel as the blown-in insulation didn't look like it had been crawled through across the whole house to the ell where the panel is.
do you have nice new wire with grounds in the panel now? What was non-code about the original wiring anyway?

had a whole house surge protector installed at the same time.
An excellent investment, IMO.

Fairfax County signed off on the install.
If Carol and her team passed it, it should be codes or better. Haven't seen them miss anything (though I work in commercial) and I've gotten some good tips from them over the years. Those open KOs are a violation, though. I bet he promised to fix them and then "forgot."