stelpro n12v2 electric baseboard heater wiring

Old 12-18-12, 03:14 PM
stelpro n12v2 electric baseboard heater wiring

Just bought a new home and got this brand new stelpro n12v2 electric baseboard heater wiring (240V, 1250 W) that just doesn't work.

The guys that made the renovations probably screwed things
as when i opened the baseboard wiring box, there was a wire loose !!
strange enough, when this wire was touching the metal case (ground) there was some reading on the thermostat !!

However the baseboard is not heating enough, just a little bit. Weather is getting cold here in montreal and i need to get this fixed fast.

There is 3 wires (120V) getting in the wiring box (3 black, 3 red and 3 grounds), the 3 grounds are properly connected but i don't understand how the rest is wired, and certainly not where that loose wire should be connected !! The baseboard have itself 1 red and 1 black wires for its connection.

Could someone help ? i don't want to pay an electrician just to fix that, and i don't to try things just like that. Have a look at the attached pic.

As you can see from the pic, 1 black wire is connected to the black one from the baseboard.
2 other black wires and 1 red are connected together
2 other red ones are connected together.
the red one that is loose is the one from the baseboard.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-12, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
There is 3 wires (120V) getting in the wiring box (3 black, 3 red
If all you have is three blacks and three reds you don't have 120 volts. You shouldn't on a 240v heater.

I can't tell from looking does the thermostat have four wires? Do you have a 2-conductor power cable coming in. In the US it should be one 2-conductor cable with one black wire and a white recolored black or red. Do you?

Old 12-18-12, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Just bought a new home and got this brand new stelpro n12v2 electric baseboard heater wiring (240V, 1250 W) that just doesn't work.

when i opened the baseboard wiring box, there was a wire loose !!
strange enough, when this wire was touching the metal case (ground) there was some reading on the thermostat !!

the red one that is loose is the one from the baseboard.
Since the black wire for the heater is already connected, that red wire should be connected to the thermostat. Where is the thermostat, and how is it wired?