Sub-panel calculations

Old 12-19-12, 01:36 PM
Question Sub-panel calculations

I need to figure out how volts that a main panel has to have to accomidate this with 2 sub-panels hooked to with these specifications

Downstairs:
2 servers that have an I7 motherboard and a 600w power supply.
16 outlets with 8 running 120v power tools. Table saws, sander, orbital sanders, shop lights and accessories, Air fan with dedicated circuit. dryer with dedicated circuit.

Main Floor
Oven,refrigerator, microwave and 18 outlets. 4 overhead lamps with 75W-100W blubs in them Outside running recessed lighting and 3 speakers.

Upstairs:
14 plug ins 7-computers and 7 outlets for lamps . 2 overhead lamps.

I think I have a 200 amp main panel.

Is there a calculation that you can show me to tell me how big of a main panel I need to accommodate this???

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IIRC some were recommending the load calcaution on Best Inspections site. Mike Holt has a free one on his site too. Look under the free stuff tab.

BTW, you are not trying to figure out volts. You need to calculate amps. Voltage is determined by the power company.

Old 12-19-12, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can tell you that a 200A main panel is the largest 'standard' residential service there is. Unless you have electric heat and a LARGE (> 3000 sq ft) house, or an electric instant water heater, that 200A service is going to serve you well.

More of your issue will be having circuits for receptacles where you need them. Are you planning on having an electrician do any required upgrades or are you going to learn about it?