Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3 way Switch - Replaced with Motion Switch PR180 - Help - Understanding wiring

3 way Switch - Replaced with Motion Switch PR180 - Help - Understanding wiring

Old 12-21-12, 03:57 PM
Exclamation 3 way Switch - Replaced with Motion Switch PR180 - Help - Understanding wiring

I am having trouble figuring out which wires match up. Clear cut help, with a color by color description would be nice! Thank you.

Here is what I have currently installed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6904[/ATTACH]

The black wire on the right, closest to the front, is labeled as "common"

This is what I am attempting to put in replace of the switch above:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6905[/ATTACH]
This model number is PR180. It has a black, red, green, and yellow with red stripe.

1. Which wires match to my original setup?
2. What is a Jumper?
3. Do I need to put on a Jumper, since the current switch does not appear to have one?

Thanks a bunch,
-Mr. Frustrated

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-12, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Clear cut help, with a color by color description would be nice!
But not that helpful because there is no one color pattern. That is at the whim of the installer. What is important is which wire is common. The color will vary but it will always be the one on the odd colored, usually black or dark gray, screw.

The black wire on the right, closest to the front, is labeled as "common"
So that makes the other two the travelers. The wires removed from the brass screws of the old switch are your travelers. Travelers are interchangeable.

2. What is a Jumper?
3. Do I need to put on a Jumper, since the current switch does not appear to have one?
A jumper is a connection between two points. Does the instructions say you need a jumper? If so why? I suspect a jumper would only be needed if it is not used as a SPDT (3-way switch) but as a SPST switch.

Old 12-21-12, 05:36 PM
Awesome. I figured out the wiring, but now I have another problem. The motion switch works fine in the on and off position, but when the Auto position go into "standby," one of my lights stays semi illuminated. This switch powers 2 light fixtures, the first is a regular 2 bulb ceiling light and the second (which is the one staying illuminated when it should be off) is a recessed light. I have had this problem before, when I tried to install a motion sensor in my bathroom, and I was told the issue was the bulb was CFL, which this is not. I have a motion sensor powering 6 of theses same lights in another hallway of my house, also on a 3 way stitch, and these do not say on! What do you think is going wrong with the setup I just installed??? Thank you again.

Old 12-21-12, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
What kind of bulb in the recessed light? If not incandescent have you tried an incandescent.

Old 12-25-12, 02:51 AM
I had an LED bulb in the light. I put an incandescent in and it is no longer staying on. Thank you. I am disappointed I can not use my LED bulb.

Old 12-25-12, 02:57 AM
Group Moderator
Newer devices like that work with no neutral. They are powered by the current that the load draws.
The LED has such low draw that the motion switch can get enough power to run properly and appears as a short to the LED bulb.

You would need a motion switch that says it works with motors. Most of those have a relay for the load and also have a neutral to run the electronics.