Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Weird reading volt meter at plug. Should I worry about what I see?

Old 12-24-12, 10:46 AM

Hey,

I recently got a volt meter and tried testing out all the sockets and noticed something strange measuring a switch.

I turn a switch off and got a reading on both screws where the wires attach. When I do this with another switch right next to it i only get one wire as hot when its turned off.

Took a picture.

Now I am also worried about the weird looking wire (is it old wire with cloth around it??). I noticed one of those wires going into a wire nut with newer looking wires.

The house is from the 40s but has been remodeled several times. The last time was done by the bank after a foreclosure.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-12, 11:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Old wires with new wires shouldn't be a problem. What are the volt readings on the switch? Does that switch control a light that is also controlled by another switch?

Old 12-24-12, 11:14 AM
Yes, that switch controls the light for the staircase which can also be operated from downstairs. I cannot read the voltage. I just have a standard voltage meter that beeps if a wire is 'hot'.

Its an old house. I am just concerned and paranoid

Old 12-24-12, 11:21 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think that there is any problem.

Old 12-24-12, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
You're using a non contact voltage detector.
It's only designed to tell you that there is AC voltage in the area.
It's very hard to determine which wire is actually live. One wire could be live and one could be dead but if they are next to each other.....or they run parallel to each other.....they could both show live.

Like Pulpo said......you're ok there. No problems.

If you like to tinker and check electrical circuits.....pick up a small analog voltmeter. They are indispensable for all kinds of testing. Not only in the home but for auto use too.

I have like 20 different kinds of meters.

Old 12-24-12, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the tip! I will...

I just bought the house and have the home builder bug. That combined with my paranoia and obsessive nature is sparking me to do all kinds of investigations.

Old 12-24-12, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
That combined with my paranoia and obsessive nature is sparking me to do all kinds of investigations.
...........and that's a good thing

I get calls all the time from friends and family to look at houses for their friends and friends of friends.
I pick the houses apart.

I'm not a paid house inspector so I tell them how it is.