Switch and plug wiring

Old 12-25-12, 08:46 AM
Switch and plug wiring

Hello All
I am building a new piece of furniture for my Masonic Lodge. I would like to know the procedure for wiring a plug that will run from the floor to a single pole( on/off) switch and this will in turn control power to four plugs(two pair of outlets) located within the cabinet. When the switch is turned on three 25 watt candle shaped bulbs will iluminate. I am gifted on the wood end of this but in the dark on how to wire. Please help.
Best Regards
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-12, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Normally you'd see sockets like below in the top of the cabinet. Also available in brown.
Have you considered something like that or do you have specific lighting units in mind ?

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-12, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In addition to PJ's suggestion regarding the bulb bases, have you considered a "touch" cabinet switch rather than an exposed wall switch? You could just plug the cabinet into a receptacle and use the touch switch to operate the lights in those sockets.

Old 12-25-12, 02:35 PM
I guess i should clarify. A little here. First of all thanks for the response so far. The lthree lights are actually three stand alone assemblies that will plug into this piece of furniture. Thereforee
i have to be able to plug these three assemblies into the cabinet. So i would like to use a single pole light switch to control power to to pair of receptacle sets. This will allow me to unplug and move three lights seprately from the cabinet. So it is critical to the project that we go go plug from receptacle infloor to single pole switch to pair of receptacle sets. Thanks again in. Advance

Old 12-25-12, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm a bit confused. In your original post you said within the cabinet.

Does that mean you want to mount two receptacles inside the box for light fixtures to be used inside the box ?

Old 12-25-12, 04:22 PM
I need to have a total. Of four plug recetacles inside the cabinet. That way i will be able to plug the three lights into it and then be able to turn them on and off with the swithch on the cabinet.

Old 12-25-12, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You would add a switch on the hot side of the cord feeding the receptacles. If you need individual control of the receptacles you will need multiple switches.

You could search for "single pole switch wiring" to get diagrams for a better idea.