Running cable in garage

Old 10-27-12, 11:48 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running cable in garage

Hello everyone,

I'm working on running 12-2 NM (new circuit from 20AMP breaker) to my attached garage either through the attic or through the basement floor/joist space where it meets the garage. I've talked briefly with the inspector and have the okay to do the rough in. The wall I would need to penetrate in the garage is drywalled, however the rest of the garage is unfinished (just insulated).

The point at which I would come through the attic would require me to run the cable laterally across about four feet of the drywall to get to the unfinished wall (where I will be adding the receptacles). Can I just stable the NM to the wall until I reach my unfinished wall? The run would be about 8 feet above the ground and away from any obstacles or damage possibilities. The inspector made it sound like this was okay - but I want to make sure before I run anything.

Can I puncture the drywall and run the cable through, or do I need some sort of grommet or conduit?

If I were to come through the basement, I would still have to cross the drywalled surface, but it would be waist height and possibly subject to damage.

Thoughts? I can get pictures of anything if it helps.

Thank you.

Last edited by Marksman762; 10-27-12 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old 10-27-12, 12:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, pictures will help. No you can't just run NM cable on top of sheetrock. It must be protected. Once we get pix, we can see what you are seeing and may can give better advice.

Old 10-27-12, 12:27 PM
M
Okay, pics below. The base of the attic access is the top of the joists/trusses in the attic, unfinished.

As I look at it now... Would it be best to run the cable along side the roof truss in the garage, where it's insulated? Similar to running cable vertically along a stud. I could drill through to the attic space from the garage side of the truss, that would leave the cable protected along the entire run in the garage.

And yes - the purpose of adding receps is to get rid of the extension cord being used for the GDO...

Attached Images    

Last edited by Marksman762; 10-27-12 at 12:28 PM. Reason: extension cord
Old 10-27-12, 12:36 PM
Yes, bringing it in through the attic would be best. Seal the hole with fire protectant sealer and fasten the cable to protect it, and bring it down to your receptacle box in the ceiling to plug in your GDO.

Old 10-27-12, 12:39 PM
M
So, should I remove a layer of insulation and drill straight through the roof truss to the attic side, then run the cable along the truss and down the wall? I am installing multiple receps, starting below the white board you see in the 3rd pic. The one for the GDO will be installed on the truss supporting the GDO, after the couple I'm installing lower on the unfinished wall.Name:  Garage 3P.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  22.2 KB

Old 10-27-12, 02:56 PM
OK, you didn't say anything about receptacles other than the GDO, hence the extension cords. In the last picture, what are we looking at? Is it the attic space, or the garage wall space. Sort of difficult for us to tell.

Old 10-27-12, 04:04 PM
M
No problem - the last picture is the inside of the garage, looking up along the wall that meets the house/attic. All the pictures I posted are of the same garage side wall. The top quarter of that wall is where the attic meets.

Old 10-27-12, 04:31 PM
From the attic, bring the cable through the rafter, then down through the top double plate, down the wall and into a receptacle, or around the wall to a chosen location, all hidden and protected.

Old 12-27-12, 03:56 PM
M
Finished!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the project is done and passed inspection. Thanks to everyone here for their help!

Name:  Garage wire finish 2.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  29.8 KBName:  Garage wire finish 3.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  29.6 KBName:  Garage wire finish 4.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  24.5 KB

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-12, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
That looks perfect! Well done!