Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outdoor light fixture / box installation with armored cable

Old 12-27-12, 07:23 PM

Hello,

I am trying to install an outdoor light fixture (a floodlight) onto the side of my house which has vinyl siding.

I want to use a mounting kit like this one: Amazon.com: Arlington 8151-1 Vertical Siding Lamp Mounting Kit with Built-in Box for 5/8 Inch Vertical Siding LAP: Home Improvement

My home is wired with armored cable (mechanical ground (bonding strip) - no separate ground wire).

How is this done safely and in compliance with code? Do I have to use a metal box? Can I convert to NM cable at a box inside of the house before the wire passes into this plastic box? All of my interior walls are open, beams exposed. This is in NYC.

Thanks!

Last edited by acr2001; 12-27-12 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think you can use NM cable in NYC.

You used to be able to get a similar siding adapter plate with a single gem cutout. This way you could use a metal box but the adapter plate would be plastic so as not to rust.
I'm looking for it now.

Old 12-27-12, 07:51 PM
NM cable was made legal in NYC a few years ago (at least for private homes 3 stories or less).

I did a bit more research --
I believe I would just run the NM from one of my metal boxes with AC cable in it (ground the NM with a grounding clip / screw to that box) out to that plastic box I linked to. Would I have to use NM cable rated for wet locations?

Last edited by acr2001; 12-27-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
NM-b is not rated for wet locations but for what you want to do you do not need to use cable for a wet location. At the metal box you start from connect the NM-b to the metal box with a 10-32 ground screw. You can use a plastic box on the side of the house.

Old 12-27-12, 09:37 PM
Makes perfect sense. Thank you both for your help.