Ipman : Adding Receptacle for Gas Cook top

Old 12-27-12, 09:37 PM
Ipman : Adding Receptacle for Gas Cook top

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...ml#post2047957

I'll have to get back to you on that.

I noticed gas cooktops require some electricity, 120V 5amps in some cases. I have a 6-3 wire that is supplying 240 volts right now for an electric cooktop. Could I simply cap off the red wires at both ends and use pigtails from the 6-3 wire to connect a 20A recepticle and a 20A breaker at the junction box to power the gas cooktop?

OR

Do I have to run a new 20A line? If I run an independent line do I have to drill a separate hole through the floor or can it bee run through the same hole as the gas line?

Thank you.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-28-12 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Probably you will want to post #7 to the electrical forums........

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-27-12 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 10:51 PM
The electric to a gas range may be supplied from one of the two (required) small appliance branch circuits aka counter top receptacles.

Old 12-28-12, 07:42 AM
I'd like to avoid opening my walls again. Is there anything against code with converting the 240V line to 120V like I mentioned?

My other thought is to tap the range hood line and share it with the cooktop because it is accessible in the basement ceiling. The range hood has a 20A circuit only used by the range hood which does not use a whole lot of power. Is that allowed?

Old 12-28-12, 08:19 AM
Group Moderator
There is normally no reason to open the wall to run a new cable. The range hood should be left as is in case you ever install an over the counter microwave and vent combo. If you have a ground wire in the 6-3 yes you can:
Could I simply cap off the red wires at both ends and use pigtails from the 6-3 wire to connect a 20A recepticle and a 20A breaker at the junction box to power the gas cooktop?

Old 12-28-12, 03:20 PM
I'd like to avoid opening my walls again. Is there anything against code with converting the 240V line to 120V like I mentioned?

My other thought is to tap the range hood line and share it with the cooktop because it is accessible in the basement ceiling.
Yes, you can convert the 240V line as you suggested, provided it has separate ground and neutral conductors in addition to the two hot conductors. And that you fill the second hole in the deadfront on your panel that will be created if you replace the two-pole breaker with a single-pole one, But I'm curious about a couple of things:

If you can feed cable into the wall where you need the new receptacle from the basement, why do you need to open the wall? Why not just fish a cable up to the new receptacle location?
Are the cables for the two SABCs not accessible in the basement?
Is the 240V circuit unlikely to be needed by you or another owner in the future to supply a dual-fuel range?

If I run an independent line do I have to drill a separate hole through the floor or can it bee run through the same hole as the gas line?
An electrical cable should not be fed through the same framing opening as any pipe for any other supply, either gas or water.