2 Circuits 1 Gang box, want to wire light

Old 12-28-12, 09:31 AM
2 Circuits 1 Gang box, want to wire light

Hey guys - i just moved into a new house. its actually an older house with new wiring. In the basement there is one gang box that looks to have two circuits running into it. I wanted to put a simple light with a grounded plug (the $4 porcelain ones) there so i can light up one area of the basement. This looks to be the only box in the basement that has a double wire if you will. Can i simply tap into one set of these or one circuit and leave the other empty? only problem i see is where would i stuff the other wires in the box? Any help is appreciated Pictures are below.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-12, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Wrong box for a ceiling fixture. Mud ring might work.

Old 12-28-12, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Can i simply tap into one set of these or one circuit and leave the other empty? only problem i see is where would i stuff the other wires in the box?
Sure. If your question is about how you would make another cable secure in that box, and there is already a cable in each of the eight entry slots it should have, then the answer may be that you can't do that.

What you can do in that case is remove one of the existing cables and insert it in a new box, then run a new piece of cable from there to the existing box and tie it in the same way the one you removed was tied in. You might be able to kill two birds with one stone by making the new box a ceiling fixture box and mounting your light fixture there.

In the existing box, you need to clean up the splice where the three black wires are protected by a yellow wire nut, so that no bare conductor is showing there, and by twisting all of the grounds together to make a proper splice/bond.

Old 12-28-12, 05:46 PM
I hope that box isn't indicative of the rest of the new wiring in your home.

Old 12-28-12, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
The grounds certainly look interesting.