more questions on sub panels

Old 12-28-12, 02:38 PM
more questions on sub panels

Gentlemen;

I am looking to move my electrical meter to a pole in the yard. I have read several threads but...

3 reasons:
1) I intend to build a garage/shop at the other end of the property and don't want to run the wire from the house to the outbuilding. (pole will kinda split the difference).
2) The EMF from the new smart meter is in the 50uG range inside my bedroom and appears to be affecting my families health (100x "suggested" background level).
3) The weather head is not to current code (too close to roof) - I'd like to be able to clear my gutters without worrying about accidental contact.

Now, The meter box, main distribution panel, pole, etc. are all no big huhu and the power company will move the service once all is blessed by an electrician. Pretty sure I can find an electrician to pop by and give it the thumbs up or tell me I screwed up for a nominal charge.

The thing is, I want to run the cable underground from the meter to the main house distribution box and I am getting all confused as to appropriate wire. It seems that #1AWG (copper) in a conduit would be best for the 70-odd foot run, but perhaps I'm being overly conservative? I think I need about 100A to the panel and would rather not have a huge transmission loss (under 3%).

I understand that the former main distribution/meter box will now be a sub panel and that the grounds/commons must be separated along with the commons being "debonded" from the box chassis.

I already have a sub-panel within the family room as it was an addition and they moved the service to the new outside wall.

So, am I buying trouble having two sub panels in series?

Pretty wordy, I know... thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-12, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
No, two subpanels are fine as long as the existing subpanel meets current code which requires four wires.

Old 12-28-12, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I think I need about 100A to the panel and would rather not have a huge transmission loss (under 3%).
Do a residential load calculation to determine the power you need to supply to your existing main panel and its subpanel.

Old 12-29-12, 06:41 AM
I intend to build a garage/shop at the other end of the property and don't want to run the wire from the house to the outbuilding. (pole will kinda split the difference).
Who owns the pole, you or the power company? Most power companies won't allow customer owned equipment on their poles. Assuming this has been worked out and this is probably your pole, you'll need a new distribution panel at the pole and not just a disconnect if you want to feed in two directions from the pole.

The thing is, I want to run the cable underground from the meter to the main house distribution box and I am getting all confused as to appropriate wire. It seems that #1AWG (copper) in a conduit would be best for the 70-odd foot run, but perhaps I'm being overly conservative? I think I need about 100A to the panel and would rather not have a huge transmission loss (under 3%).
To calculate voltage drop to determine wire size you need to know the load. Like Nash mentioned, you need to do a load calculation. The minimum size for a 100 amp residential feeder is #4 copper or #2 aluminum.