How to indicate intra-apartment connection


Old 12-29-12, 01:32 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 260
Question How to indicate intra-apartment connection

I want to run a coaxial cable from my living room to another room. Each end of the cable will terminate at a surface mounted receptacle to which I'll attach a patch cable. I want to indicate that the receptacles lead to another room so nobody thinks they're connected to the cable company. I'm thinking of putting a symbol on each surface mounted box and maybe something in plain english somewhere, but I need help with the symbol. I looked at a table titled "Electrical Symbols and Abbreviations In Accordance with American National Standards Institute" but there's no clear answer, at least to a novice. I was thinking maybe the symbol for "special purpose outlet" or "interconnection box" is the right one. Is there any symbol for this?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-12, 01:46 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,338
Maybe things are different there, but even if you found the right symbol, no one around here would know what it meant!

Here's the Plain English I would have appreciated:

#1. From Cable Co.

#2. To Other Room

In other room:

From Living Room

You can have this engraved, make a p-touch label, or just print it and put scotch tape or packing tape over it. Even Sharpie is better than nothing!
Old 12-29-12, 02:14 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 260
Yeah, I just have to think about how to make that look as good as it could look. Maybe a ring around the plug that I could write on. It could be attached with the nut that's used to attach the plug to the box or wall plate.
Old 12-29-12, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio
Posts: 4,292
If you have access to a label maker, you could simply make a stick on with TV or Ext. If you have the kind that uses clear self adhesive tape it would look like a factory job.
Old 12-29-12, 03:21 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,058
You could also use rub on letters to directly mark the plate.
Old 12-29-12, 05:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 260
I'd like to make this happen:

Maybe I'll print it on a label. I hope it doesn't look like I have a cable ready sofa bed.
Old 03-15-13, 04:30 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 260
I accidentally found keystone plates with label windows! My local big box store doesn't sell them. "Each 2-port wall plate accepts snap-in connector modules and includes screws and screw-cover label plates."

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes