wall outlets producing excessive voltage

Old 12-29-12, 01:54 PM
wall outlets producing excessive voltage

Recently two of the wall outlets in my home quit working.They are in seperate rooms but they are tied together.I checked for voltage and found none.I turned off power at breaker box and replaced the two power outlets.I returned power to the house and now the two new outlets are reading 320 volts when checking them between the small hole and the large hole..I have the black wires connected with the screws and not the slots to the short side and the white wires connectced with the screws on the long side..both grounds are good and tight....all other outlets read 124 volts...........I don't believe there is a problem with my meter because it reads correctly when checking other outlets and it seems imposssible that an outlet could even produce that much voltage.....any help would be much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-12, 02:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The black wires go to the brass screw & the white wires go to the chrome screw. I never looked at short or long. Was any drywall or carpentry work done just before the 2 outlets lost power? Something made them stop working.

Old 12-29-12, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
If you are comfortable doing it open your breaker box and measure the voltage at the main breaker and from each side of the main breaker to neutral.

Warning!
High Voltages! Use extreme caution when working in the panel.

Old 12-29-12, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The maximum voltage in a house should be 240 volts, measured between the two hot legs. I don't know how you are getting 320.

Old 12-29-12, 07:48 PM
Starting at these two outlets, check toward the panel for an open neutral. It may be in a failing splice or at a loose connection to a device.

Old 12-30-12, 01:07 AM
Check the batteries in your multimeter. Low batteries means high readings in my experience.

Old 12-30-12, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good point Justin.

Old 12-30-12, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
From the original post:
all other outlets read 124 volts...........I don't believe there is a problem with my meter because it reads correctly when checking other outlets