replacing aube timer with sunsmart timer

Old 12-30-12, 10:48 AM
replacing aube timer with sunsmart timer

I'm replacing a aube timer (that's not working) with a sunsmart timer. The Aube timer has 3 black wires(single pole installation), one is attached to a red wire (i assume this is the grounding wire) and the other 2 are attached to black wires.

The sunsmart timer has 5 wires -- one red, one black, one blue, one white and one green. I believe the green wire of the timer gets attached to the red wire. For a single pole installation, can you help me with which color sunsmart wires replace the 2 black aube wires?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
When it comes to electricity you can not assume anything.

.......attached to a red wire. That would NOT be ground. That sounds like part of a three way light switch circuit.

Do you have two switches (or a timer and switch) controlling that light ?

Old 12-30-12, 11:17 AM
yes. there is a timer and a switch controlling the light. they are located in different locations -- switch in kitchen timer in hallway.

Old 12-30-12, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
You mentioned single pole setup twice. You can't use single pole setup on a three way system.
This could be a tricky installation since you have a three way circuit there. If not wired correctly the timer will fry.

Does the aube timer ONLY have three wires on it ?
Three black wires only doesn't make sense.

You said one black aube wire goes to red......ok
What colors do the other ones connect to ?

Old 12-30-12, 01:46 PM
By single pole setup I meant that the timer controls only one light. The timer is in a area with another timer and two switches. The aube timer has 3 black wires. One is connected to a red wire and the other 2 black wires are connected to black wires.

Old 12-30-12, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Single pole = one switch controls light/lights
Three way = Two switches controls light/lights
Four way = More than two switches controls light/lights

You have a set of three ways. The red is likely the common wire being either the hot, or the switch leg to the light(s). There is no standard of color codeing when it comes to home wiring, other then the grounds or neutrals. You will likely need to use a meter to find out what is what, or, use trial and error (not recommended when working with electronic timers.)

Old 12-30-12, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.....so at the aube timer we have two black wires and one red wire.
It's fairly certain that red is one of the travelers and that one of the blacks is the other traveler.
You will need to look in the switchbox.......you should see that red, one of the blacks and a white going into one cable.
Mark that black or somehow tape it with the red wire so you know which ones are the travelers.
Now you will need to disconnect that last black wire and determine if it has 120 vac on it or is it the light end of the switch circuit.

We'll go from there.

BTW.....the link is the wiring diagram for this timer.
http://www.jascoproducts.com/support...de-eng-spa.pdf

Old 12-30-12, 08:00 PM
I recently bought a Tork astronomic time switch, very similar if not identical to your sunsmart switch. It has black, white, green, red and blue wires. The black is power in, the white is neutral, the blue is power out and the red is a bypass that is wired with a switch connected to the black wire. The green is the equipment ground.

I suggest that you READ the instructions that came with the new time switch. I know it isn't very interesting and more likely as not, with the multiple language format, it is downright difficult to read, but all the information is there.