GFCI Outlet

Old 12-30-12, 07:03 PM
GFCI Outlet

I have a gfci outlet I installed to replace one that was not working. I wired it up correctly. Left the yellow sticker in place. Used a GFCI outlet tester and got three unlit indicators, meaning an open hot. There is power to the outlet. I used a voltage tester to check that the line was hot. Can't figure out why the outlet is not working and why there is an open ground. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
So if the GFI outlet has power then you should be able to push the TEST button and it should trip.
You then need to push the RESET button.

Sometimes the GFI's come tripped out of the box. Did you try resetting yours ?

Old 12-30-12, 08:21 PM
I did push the reset button and the outlet would not reset. Could there be a problem with the breaker?

Old 12-30-12, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
No, no reason to suspect the breaker if you have power. More likely you bought a bad breaker. Buy a different brand in case it was from a bad lot.

I used a voltage tester to check that the line was hot.
Of course if you mean a non contact tester your results mean nothing and it may not be hot.

I know you wrote it was new but that means very little. It could be somebody bought a new one to replace a bad one then returned the bad one in the packaging of the new one or just a screw up at the factory.

Old 12-30-12, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rarely do breakers go bad. Can you check your connections again? Sometimes the wires are just touching the clamps instead of being under the clamp.

Old 12-31-12, 06:03 PM
Used a GFCI outlet tester and got three unlit indicators, meaning an open hot
Can't figure out why the outlet is not working and why there is an open ground
You need to stop trying to troubleshoot your problem with an outlet tester. You need either an analog meter or a good digital multi meter to check the power feeding the GFI receptacle.

Old 12-31-12, 11:07 PM
Used a GFCI outlet tester and got three unlit indicators, meaning an open hot. There is power to the outlet. I used a voltage tester to check that the line was hot. Can't figure out why the outlet is not working and why there is an open ground.
So you don't have an open hot and you do have an open ground?