Lighting circuit for new addition

Old 12-31-12, 09:54 AM
Lighting circuit for new addition

I am adding on a three season room to my house and am doing the wiring myself,
Its a 20x16 addition and will be used primarily in the summer to relax and watch tv and maybe eat out there too.( I will evetnually put a woodstove or an electric baseboard heater out there if we want to use it in the colder months)
I have a 8 duplex receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. 2 42" ceiling fans w/light kit that each draw about 250 watts( 52 watts for the fan and 3- 65 watt bulbs) on a 15 amp circuit and I want to also put some general lighting that includes 8 recessed lights on another 15 amp circuit and I'm wondering about using led cans .They are pricier than the normal bulbs and I'm wondering if they are worth it. Is a 15 amp circuit enough for these lights.One last question there a door that exits out of the room to the back yard.
If I want to install a motion light next to the door does that have to be on a GFI circuit and do I use a special box or are the plastic boxes ok to mount the light on.
Thanks for your expertise
Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-12, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
If you used LED cans you would only need one circuit for lighting and fans.
LED bulbs are definitely worth the price.

THe motion light outside does not have to be on a GFI circuit.
If you are going to surface mount the light......get an FS or single gang weatherproof box.
You can buy the whole entire kit from most home supply stores.
You get a box, a motion detector, one or two lamp holders and a plate.

Old 12-31-12, 10:38 AM
I had a feeling I could put them on one circuit but didn't know for sure.Thank you. There are some discountinued bulbs on sale at the home store are they pretty standard size so if I use these and they neede to be replaced I can replace with a different brand .
Also , the motion light is a lantern style light w/motion on it so I don't want to surface mount. Can a I use a plastic box if I dont surface mount.
Thank you

Old 12-31-12, 09:35 PM
the motion light is a lantern style light w/motion on it so I don't want to surface mount. Can a I use a plastic box if I dont surface mount.
That depends. How are you planning to mount it?

Old 01-01-13, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Arlington has a variety of mounting boxes for fixtures and receptacles in a variety of siding materials. I think they are way nicer than a surface mount box or using a flush mounted box and leaving gaps between the siding and the fixture.

Siding Mounting Blocks

Here is one style:

Siding Mounting Blocks | Siding Box Kits for Fixtures and Devices