another door bell problem

Old 12-31-12, 01:07 PM
another door bell problem

hi guys i know lots of door bell problem, mine just stop working i got 2 one in the basement another in the main floor with one button at the front door and the other button on the side door, check the buttons replaced, if the transformer is bad can i still get power going to the actual chime i tested it and it lights up so does that means yeah we still get power even if the trans is bad, i can't find the stupid trans in the basement or furnace room maybe in the attic, not behind the chimes

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-12, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
You need to find the transformer and test the secondary with an analog multimeter. Since you have two chimes odds are they both didn't go out at the same time so most likely it is the transformer.

Old 12-31-12, 03:57 PM
thanks for your reply i was thinking that, damn now i need to go for a search and find that trans or go wireless.

and for what i said would the chimes stay energyze i guess they would since the electrical wire is connected right.

Old 12-31-12, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
if the transformer is bad can i still get power going to the actual chime i tested it and it lights up so does that means yeah we still get power even if the trans is bad,
What did you use that lights up ?
If you checked at the doorbell with something that lit up then the transformer is not bad.

Old 12-31-12, 04:10 PM
i used one of those cheap, voltage-continuity screwdriver tester it goes from 12-250

Old 01-01-13, 06:37 AM
Start by figuring out which 120VAC circuit feeds the transformer from your load center aka fuse box. Follow that circuit until you find the transformer. It's common to see them behind drywall or insulation in basements, attached to a knockout in the load center. Otherwise, yeah, it's located for the convenience of the installer.

Locate as much wiring as possible and put on a diagram. That should help narrow down the list of possible locations.

Any chance there's a mouse chewing on your wiring? This will be easier to troubleshoot with a meter as previously mentioned.