Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I want to change a 3 way switch to a switch and single outlet combo...

I want to change a 3 way switch to a switch and single outlet combo...

Old 01-01-13, 04:47 PM
Smile I want to change a 3 way switch to a switch and single outlet combo...

Hi,

I hope someone can provide a little little help here. I have a laundry room with an overhead light that is controlled by a 3 way switch at each end. There is only one set of the following wires in each box...Each switch has ground, white, black and red wires. I want to know if I can swap out one of the switches to a switch outlet combo.

Thanks,
Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-13, 05:03 PM
Short answer is NO. Long answer is NOOOOOOOOOO.

There are several ways to wire a 3-way switch circuit and one of them is to run the power to the ceiling box where the light is located and then run a 3-wire cable to each switch box, that is evidently what you have. You would need both a constant hot wire and a neutral wire to have a receptacle there; you have neither.

Old 01-02-13, 07:26 AM
The lowest-work option would probably be to switch to a radio-operated 3-way switch and to reassign the conductors between the fixture and the switch box so that you have a hot and neutral instead of travelers.

If you're handy and experienced with electrical, this is not a tough project. But if you're not sure what the wires actually do, hire a pro, or get some more education before digging into this yourself.

Based on your description, the first link shows how your circuit is wired now. The second link shows a radio controlled switch, though there are others.

How To Install a 3-way Switch Option #4 :: Home Improvement Web

Leviton 6696-W Wireless 3-Way Decora-Style Switch Kit, White - Smarthome

Old 01-02-13, 05:19 PM
Thanks Casual Joe, you confirmed my thoughts. In the basement located right below the laundry room, I have an electrical outlet and that is the only outlet on that line back to the breaker box. I will come up thru the floor into the wall and just add a new outlet in the room. Thanks again.

Larry

Old 01-02-13, 05:29 PM
In the basement located right below the laundry room, I have an electrical outlet and that is the only outlet on that line back to the breaker box. I will come up thru the floor into the wall and just add a new outlet in the room.
That may be the best and safest solution - we don't know what loads you're planning to plug into the new receptacle.

But I'm curious: Don't you already have a 120V receptacle that the washing machine is plugged into, and that you could extend from?

Old 01-03-13, 03:38 PM
Yes there is, but it is a single outlet for the washer only and it is on the other side of the room. Good thought...thanks.