Sources for electrical code training - for the DIYer

Old 01-01-13, 09:01 PM
Sources for electrical code training - for the DIYer

Hi folks

In my county a homeowner can get an electrical permit to work in their own home, but only after passing a test of the NEC etc. It's actually an unlimited time open-book test and the library is across the street. Actually not a bad system IMO.

Anyway, I'd like to prepare for the test, and the learning is good for me anyway .
What are some good resources for training/reviews/overviews/ etc?
My FIL is an architect and I use Google to scour the mass collective of the internet when I have questions, and of course I could just "read the code books" - but I'd rather do this a little more efficiently... but at my own pace and preferably cheaply...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-13, 09:59 PM
Check out the resources at Mike Holt. Also check out the adult ed or continuing ed classes offered by your local board of ed.

Old 01-02-13, 08:56 AM
There is a series of books called "Code Check." One of them is for electrical, and covers the code sections applicable to residential wiring. There is also a small paperback called Wiring Simplified that is quite useful. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot (in the electrical section, not where all the other books are). My wife and I built our log home almost entirely by ourselves, and both of these books helped a lot.

Old 01-02-13, 02:06 PM
You never know what will be on one of those tests. But when you're picking up your copy of Wiring Simplified, I'll suggest you also get a copy of the latest edition of Ugly's Electrical References. Whether it comes in handy on the test or not, it should prove useful as you figure out how you want to work things out around the house.

Which brings me to a question: What sort of work are you planning to do?

Old 01-02-13, 02:57 PM
The work is nothing fancy. I'm finishing part of my basement, and need to run wiring for 2 rooms. Outlets, overhead, etc. Conveniently there is already a 20A circuit that runs to the space with only 1-2 outlets, so I don't think I'll even need to add a new circuit to the breaker... although I may add a new one just for S&Gs, access to the panel is really simple and space is ample.

I'm not new to small electrical jobs in the house, have added circuits, run wiring, boxes, lights etc before, finished basement in my last home, and I always do it according to code - this is just the first time I've had to take a test to get a permit.
Thus far I probably spend 10x as much time reading/researching ahead as I do actually working, b/c I just learn each new thing as needed.

... and my FIL is probably getting tired of me asking him questions

Old 01-02-13, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you might be in Howard County?

Old 01-02-13, 04:07 PM
Harford - the "other end" of the state...

Old 01-02-13, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Unless you really WANT to learn and take the test.....maybe you could have an electrician pull the permit and you do the work? I know, not too many Pro's would want to do that...but maybe the FIL connection?

Old 01-02-13, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I did not know Harford allowed homeowner permits. Thanks.

Old 01-02-13, 07:11 PM
In my county a homeowner can get an electrical permit to work in their own home, but only after passing a test of the NEC
It's the same here and I have been told the homeowner's test is not particularly difficult; unlike the test for a electrical license. Here is the best resource you are likely to find, but you have to religiously follow along every day for a few months and not be afraid to ask questions.

Electrical - A/C & D/C - DoItYourself.com Community Forums