Odd problem; ground seems hot yet circuit works fine

Old 01-02-13, 07:43 AM
Odd problem; ground seems hot yet circuit works fine

Hello all, im a noobie here so go easy on me
Ive done some electrical work over the years and ive encountered a strange problem. A friend got a new tv and when they plugged it in all was fine....til they tryed plugging in the tv cable wire....which sparks and trips circuit. On this circuit the same thing happens with another grounded tv as well. It works fine with her old tv which is ungrounded.
Using my multimeter, I get 110 between hot and neutral, and i also notice that im getting 110 between the ground of the receptacle and the center pin on the cable. Very stange. When the grounded tv is plugged into a different circuits receptacle and I attach the same said cable, no problem. So I dont think the cable services cable is hot. Is it possible that somewhere in that circuit a ground is touching a hot causing the hot and ground both to be electified?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you have an open ground and a ground fault somewhere in the circuit.

Old 01-02-13, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Not a problem to take lightly.
i would take that receptacle apart to check for issues.

Also check the other receptacles on the same circuit for problems.

Old 01-03-13, 09:54 AM
does this coax have a amplifier on it? signal amplifiers usually have a polarized plug and a diode is used to ground the cable to the neutral wire internally, perhaps you are getting voltage through this, or its coming from some other device that's connected

Old 01-03-13, 10:17 AM
Sounds like the ground wire came in contact with a hot wire and the ground wire burned open before the Breaker (or fuse) opened the circuit.

It shoundnt be too hard to find the short, just look for the melted wire and or burn marks.

Old 01-05-13, 04:12 PM
Okay; after further investigation here is what I found: On a known good circuit, from the hot wire from an outlet to the tv cable, I get 110volts.....as I should and from the neutral AND the ground to the tv cable, I get zero volts as I should. BUT...from the problem outlet (and the entire circuit for that matter in question) Im noticing this: Im getting 110volts to the tv cable from the neutral wire AND the ground wire; and 0volts from the "hot" wire.
Its as if the ground and the hot are tied together instead of the ground and neutral. In other words from the 3-wires to the outlets and whatnot, 2 of them are at 110 and only 1 is a neutral/ground. In the electrical panel though it appears as though its right; black and red wire go to the breaker and neutral and ground to a neutral bar. Im confused.

Old 01-05-13, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Wait a minute....... There are two threads running here at the same time with the same strange problem
Or are these two related ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/en...-tv-blown.html

Old 01-05-13, 08:11 PM
Odd. I guess there are a couple of us with this goofy problem

Old 01-05-13, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Did you locate the issues with your wiring ?

Old 01-05-13, 08:31 PM
Its strange because even if an outlet is wired reversed, there will always be only 1 hot. But this circuit has the ground apparently wired to hot? Giving two hots and one neutral/ground. Yet it seems wired properly in the panel. Im stumped and frustrated.

Old 01-05-13, 08:34 PM
No. Not sure whats going on. Hopefully an electrician will. Im at my end with this

Old 01-05-13, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
It's probably fine at the panel. It's at least fine to the first receptacle on that circuit.
Did you read the approach on the other other thread ?

Find out which receptacles on that circuit are good and which have problems. You'll probably find the receptacle(s) close to the panel are ok.