Grounding outlets

Old 01-03-13, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding outlets

My brothers home was flooded by sandy so I was replacing his electrical receptacles when I discovered that none of his three prong outlets were grounded in anyway. I want to ground the outlets to the boxes but Im confused how this works since the wire doesn't have a metal jacket its rubber. My question is how is the box then grounded?

This is more of an electrical theory question then a procedure question. I know HOW to ground to the outlet im asking how the box IS grounded.

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-13, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Any water damaged cables should also be replaced.

Early versions of NM cables had a smaller gauge grounding conductor that was typically back-wrapped around the cable under the clamps or outside the box.

How old is the wiring?

Old 01-04-13, 07:23 PM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Water damaged means if the wiring was immersed in water, it needs to be replaced, IMO. In the case of Sandy, wasn't the flooding by saltwater? All the more reason to replace the wiring and any other electrical components that were under water. Have you discussed whether full replacement will be required with the electrical inspector? Type NM cables were available through the 70s with either a ground or no ground.