New York City code for running wire in surface raceway?

Old 01-05-13, 01:03 PM
New York City code for running wire in surface raceway?

I would like to install a ceiling light fixture in a room where there is currently no fixture or switch. My walls are all plaster, so I thought I would run the wire using metal surface raceway, with surface mounted switch and fixture, rather than trying to run wire and boxes through the walls and ceilings.

I am in one of the boroughs of New York City. The code here for wiring calls for armored cable. Can anyone tell me if I need to run BX cable through the metal raceways, or can I use just use THHN wire directly within the raceway?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-13, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Both BX cable and metal surface race are types of metal raceway so that should be local code compliant. [Individual conductors such as THHN are used in surface race not "BX".] What may not be local code compliant is the work being done by a non-licensed person and or a tenant. What is almost certainly a code violation is doing it without a permit which you probably need a license to pull.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-05-13 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Add info for clarity.
Old 01-05-13, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The THHN in the surface raceway would satisfy the NEC, but I do not know about local NY amendments. Call your building department officials.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-05-13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-05-13, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Can anyone tell me if I need to run BX cable through the metal raceways
You would not run a metallic cable through a surface metal raceway. You would want to use THHN wire in the raceway, as PCboss posted.