Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need help correctly adding 230 Vac air compressor- maybe future welder

Old 01-05-13, 04:58 PM

Gents, I am about to add a 3.7 hp(running)/15 amp air compressor to my attached, existing garage. I need to install a new breaker, wiring, plug, etc... for this. My Breaker box is a 100 amp service.(hoping to not have to upgrade). Oh, I live in a suburb near Boise, Idaho.

Also-I may want to buy a 230 Vac welder in the future, but not sure. Would like to wire this only one time, if possible. I don't know a lot about my future welding needs- but a guess would be that it wouldn't be over 50 amps max(220 Vac).

I only have one breaker position available, so I wanted to go with a QP 50-Amp Quad circuit breaker(one that only takes two places- but supplies one 220 in the middle- and one 110 on each side of the breaker assembly).

total wiring would be max 10 feet(outlet installed 3 feet below the breaker box)-- which puts the wire size at #14(I think)... -- I would go with #12 to be safe...

So,
1 50 amp quad breaker
#12 gauge wiring (i think 12-2?)
50 amp outlet/plug (I believe is a NEMA 6-50R)

So does this make sense for safety/Code and also being able to run a welder??? I understand my 100 amp service is close to being max'd if all my household stuff came on at the same time...

thanks!

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-13, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately, you won't be able to run your compressor and welder off the same circuit. The compressor will need a 15 or 20A circuit and the welder will need a 50A circuit.

You may be able to change out a couple other breakers to tandem if your panel supports it.

Is your compressor 120 or 240v?

Old 01-05-13, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
I only have one breaker position available, so I wanted to go with a QP 50-Amp Quad circuit breaker(one that only takes two places- but supplies one 220 in the middle- and one 110 on each side of the breaker assembly)
Why don't you drop in a small sub panel with a 2p50 amp breaker and a 2p20 amp breaker. This way you wouldn't need a tandem or a multi breaker in main panel.

Compressor circuit should be wired in # 12
Welder circuit should be like # 8 (could use 10 but I'd use 8)

ON EDIT : Only one full breaker space left ?

Last edited by PJmax; 01-05-13 at 05:58 PM. Reason: further clarification
Old 01-05-13, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with the others. It would be best to install a sub panel to your garage. That way you could add circuits you need now, and in the future. A 60 amp feed to a 12 space sub panel would work out very well.

I doubt your 100 amp service would have a problem running your extra load.

Old 01-06-13, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Because my air compressor project is right now, and the welder is only a possibility- I'll set up a circuit for the air compressor and add the other circuit in the future(probably a sub panel, after i find out how to wire it correctly to code)...

thanks for the help- especially now that I know I cannot put the both on the same leg.

thanks guys!

Jimmy