Kitchen outlets with fading or no power

Old 01-06-13, 07:11 AM
Kitchen outlets with fading or no power

Hi
I have a series of outlets in the kitchen. I think the power comes in from the house panel (20A breaker) to a GFCI outlet, then is connected to two outlets to one side and one to the other. We began to notice that these 3 outlets worked intermittently, and if we pushed the reset button on the GFCI outlet, they would work again. However as I test each outlet, the light in the tester is noticeably dim in the single outlet to one side, as if there is power but not enough for the device plugged in. The two outlets to the other side do not work at all. We plug a standard coffee pot (lots of watts) to the GFCI outlet, which will sometime 'trip', however no red light or 'snap' of the button. Just no power to the coffee maker.

Also, the breaker in the panel does not trip, the outlets were installed about 7 years ago by an electrician as part of a renovation. If I manually switch the breaker off and on, all outlets work again, but for how long is unknown.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 08:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It would be a oddity for power to "fade" out. Usually it is either there or it isn't. Rather than using your light, purchase an inexpensive analog multimeter ($15) and take readings from the small slot to the wide slot and from the small slot to the round slot and let us know the voltage readings you are getting when you think it is dim. If you have to press the reset button on the GFCI, then you have a ground fault somewhere. With the power removed, pull all the receptacles and check the connections to the screws. If any are backstabbed (GFCI will be back screwed and that's OK) remove the wires from the back stabs and place them on the appropriate screws.

Old 01-06-13, 10:43 AM
I replaced the GFCI outlet. THis seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the reply.