New 20-Amp 240 Garage Circuits...

Old 01-07-13, 01:02 PM
New 20-Amp 240 Garage Circuits...

Greetings,

I have added two new 20-amp 240 circuits to my garage, and they test through fine. I ran 10/2 out of the panel, into a 5x surface-mount work box where I pigtailed to #10 THHN through 3/4" EMT. So that's all fine and the inspector likes it.

Here's where I have the problem:

I have my NEMA 6-20R receptacles and I'm trying to put them into 4x work boxes, just to have extra room. I'm only putting one per box, and I got a metal cover that fits the box, with an opening in the center designed for my receptacles. The problem is the receptacles have the little two-hole parts on the top and bottom and those prevent the receptacle from fitting properly. The single screw holes just above and below the device itself line up with the cover plate I have. So, am I supposed to cut-off the upper and lower little ears? Or bend them?

Not sure what to do at this point, aside from buying a single-gang box... but trying to get #10 connected in there is going to be near impossible.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 01:17 PM
Do you mean the "Mickey Mouse" ears? Those are properly called plaster ears and are to prevent the device from falling below the surface of the wall. In your installation they can be safely bent back and forth a few times with pliers until they break off the device.

Old 01-07-13, 01:28 PM
Now that's just funny! That is what I meant, yes. Didn't realize they were called that. At this point I'm debating taking these back to Platt and getting commercial back-wired ones anyhow... they sold me these side-wired Leviton things and I'm not sure #10 is going to be fun to wrap around the screws.

Old 01-07-13, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
I'd say swap 'em. As long as you have the depth in the box for the wiring protruding out the back. So much easier to just strip, insert, and tighten the screws.

Old 01-07-13, 03:22 PM
Definitely get the back-wired receptacles.

Old 01-07-13, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure #10 is going to be fun to wrap around the screws.
And.....why was it you used #10 wire for 20 amp circuits?