Weatherproof Outlet Covers, etc

Old 01-08-13, 07:00 AM
Weatherproof Outlet Covers, etc

Aside from a cost standpoint, is there any reason why the majority of weather proof/weather resistent covers use that material that is similar to styrofoam for their gasketing material.

I just got some odds' ends in (Hubbell Weather Resisent Safety Shroud Inlet) and interestingly enough, the gasket for the back of this is a nice piece of neoprenish rubber, which I expected would be a more common material of use for these weather resistant covers

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-13, 07:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You probably answered your own question when you said cost. Whenever the question is why the answer is money. If Hubbell has a better insulator, you hit the jack pot. Buy their products.

Old 01-08-13, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
C'mon.....what's the problem. Just because the gaskets rip when you open the package or pushing out the little screw hole "popouts" cause the gasket to shred.

Old 01-08-13, 08:42 AM
It certainly can't be that much MORE to the bottom line.

Another insteresting thing to note...not sure if you guys have seen it.
P&S makes a outlet that has this similar Neoprenish material as a gasket that also covers the slots in a outlet So when a blade is not in it....outlet unused, the slots are somewhat sealed from the elements - in addition to whatever weather proofing the *outdoor cover* is providing.

I have always uses a Xacto knife and using the styrofoam, replaced those with the Neoprene material. It takes a little work cutting it out, but it sure does make a better seal IMO. The P&S design IMO is in the right direction for even a ~straight blade~ outlet.

Old 01-08-13, 01:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It doesn't add much to the bottom line. on one of them but it adds a lot when it comes to thousands of them.

Old 01-08-13, 10:26 PM
I would cost a fortune to make the better gasket for one, or just a few, covers. It only costs pennies per cover when you do it for every one you make.