Rough in inspection questions

Old 01-10-13, 10:37 AM
Rough in inspection questions

i'm getting ready for the rough in inspection of my 20x16 three season room addition and wondered about a couple things
1) Should I connect the neutral and ground of the the AFCI breakers (leaving the hot disconnected. or not connect anything in the panel box
2) Can I complete the connections on the recessed cans ( they have the plastic push-in connectors) or leave the wires loose no pigtails necessary.

One other non related question. Can i pull cable tv/internet wires through the same holes as the romex or drill separate holes for them.

Thanks for all your help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-13, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, not enough savvy to answer the first question but the answer to the third is no, you want your low voltage wires at least 12" away.

Old 01-10-13, 11:15 AM
It really depends on what inspection you're going for and what the inspectors in your jurisdiction want to see. Your best bet is to ask them.

That said, for wall close-in, I cap the hot feed in every box, land everything in the panel, test the circuits and then switch the breakers off, and leave the walls uncovered.

As Mitch said, do not run data with power unless you want the data to be corrupted.

Old 01-10-13, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Around me, the rough in needs all grounds made up, along with any MWBC neutral splices.

There is no NEC prohibition against LV in the same hole as the power. Best practice is to keep a separation and cross at 90 degrees.

Old 01-10-13, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Great clarification from pcboss - the LV wires not being in the same hole is not a code issue, it is a performance issue.

Old 01-10-13, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1) Should I connect the neutral and ground of the the AFCI breakers (leaving the hot disconnected. or not connect anything in the panel box
Around here, it's quite acceptable to leave the cables unterminated at the breaker panel for the rough inspection. In my opinion, it's safer because someone can't actually power up a circuit that's still not terminated. I doubt an inspector around here though would have an issue if everything was connected up.

2) Can I complete the connections on the recessed cans ( they have the plastic push-in connectors) or leave the wires loose no pigtails necessary.
Again, around here, the connections are expected to be completed for recessed cans. This is because they will be covered by the drywall shortly (and though they are technically accessible, they are a PITA to get to). Similarly, grounds and neutrals pigtailed appropriately, ready for outlets to be installed after drywall.

Old 01-10-13, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your feedback.
It didnt make sense to not terminate the wires in the cans since it isnt easily accessible after the insulation and drywall goes up loke other lighting is
Also , thanks for the spacing on the low voltage wire . I thought there might be an interference issue with the romex wire but I couldn't remember. I will keep them 12" away from the other wires

Old 01-10-13, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
For your rough-in you should have everything made up and ready for sheetrock (or other wall finish). Cans should be made up with the covers on the boxes, and device boxes should be all spliced and ready for the device to be put on. Wires can be pushed in the boxes. If the inspector wants to see them he can pull them out.

In the main panel, you can do your choice. You can install the breakers so all that needs to be done is to turn them on. If you do this, you should tape them off so they are not accidentally turned on. Only do this if you will be the one that will be doing anything with the breakers.

Your other choice is to just run the grounds, and neutrals not part of the AFCI circuits, to their proper busses. On the AFCI circuits, twist the hot and neutral together so you know which neutral goes with which hot.