Switching which outlet responds to a certain light switch

Old 01-12-13, 11:02 AM
Switching which outlet responds to a certain light switch

Currently, the light switch in our bedroom controls an outlet on the wall. There are 4 outlets total in the room, I was wondering if it was possible to switch which outlet responds to the light switch.

I did some research and most say it's an expensive job for electricians, because they have to run new wiring through the drywall etc... but I found a glimmer of hope when I read that it may be possible to do if the wiring was configured correctly (using 12/3 wiring?)

Question: Is this really possible? If so, what should my setup look like?

I've opened up my outlets and switch to see what type of wiring is being used. Here's what I've found:

Switch: 12/3
Outlet controlled by switch: 12/3
Other 3 outlets: 12/2

Any tips/suggestions welcome, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-13, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
You would need to see 12/3 at all the outlets in able to change them from live to switched.
You would need to rewire your receptacles.

Old 01-12-13, 12:15 PM
That doesn't sound like enough wires for what you have now. How many cables of each type do you have in each box.

The likelihood is, though, that you might be able to make all of your receptacles switched, or flip things so that the ones that are constant hot now are switched and the one that is switched now is always on, without rewiring. Would either of those outcomes work for you?

Different question: Do you have access to the tops and bottoms of your bedroom walls from an attic, basement or crawl space?

Free tip: I'm an electrician, and we resolve problems like in our house that by installing remote switches, not by rewiring.

Old 01-13-13, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought. I'll be looking into the wireless solution.

Old 01-13-13, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Something like this may be what you need. Basic Wireless Light Switch Kit - White

Old 01-13-13, 02:43 PM
This is the one we use: X-10 Remote Light Switch System.