New Circuit Panel In Garage

Old 01-12-13, 04:43 PM
New Circuit Panel In Garage

I am installing a new circuit panel (replacing old panel) in my garage but I only have three wires comimg from the panel on the back of my house. Shouldn't there be four wires? What is the proper way to wire this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-13, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

It depends. What is the wiring method? Romex, EMT, PVC? IF it is EMT then to conduit is your ground and you are fine. If it is one of the others, you will need to install a ground as required by current code.

Old 01-12-13, 06:08 PM
I am running PVC. If I put a ground rod in at my garage will this be ok? Where the main line comes into the panel on the back of the house the neutral wire is connected to a buss bar that is connected directly to the metal circuit box, do I need to change anything there?

Old 01-12-13, 07:18 PM
I am running PVC. If I put a ground rod in at my garage will this be ok?
If your garage is attached you don't need to add a ground rod there. If it is detached, you need to add a pair of ground rods, spaced at least 6' apart and connected to the bus bar in your panel with one length of 6 AWG bare copper.

In PVC, as Tolyn said, you will need to pull four wires - two hots, a neutral and an insulated ground. The size of those conductors is determined by the load you will have on the subpanel.

Where the main line comes into the panel on the back of the house the neutral wire is connected to a buss bar that is connected directly to the metal circuit box, do I need to change anything there?
It depends. Does the bus bar in your main panel also have at least one, and preferably two, #6 copper conductors terminated to it? One from your cold water inlet and one from driven ground rods? If not, you need to add those if that panel has your main overcurrent protection device in it.

Old 01-13-13, 06:00 AM
The garage is detached. I have only one more question, you stated I need to run four wires to my garage but the panel on my house only has three wires two hots and a neutral that goes to a buss bar that is grounded. Do I wire the insulated ground and the neutral coming from the garage to the same bar on the house?

Old 01-13-13, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Do I wire the insulated ground and the neutral coming from the garage to the same bar on the house?
Yes, that is how it is done.

Old 01-13-13, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An existing 3 wire feeder is allowed to continue to be used for a panel in a detached structure. A new feeder would need to be 4 wires.

Last edited by pcboss; 01-13-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 08:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the info.