Romex in unfinished shop

Old 01-16-13, 10:44 AM
Romex in unfinished shop

I have a 30'x30' shop that I'm getting ready to wire. It's built like a pole building except that it has steel columns and trusses with 2x6 girts running horizontally on the sidewalls and 2x6 joist between the trusses. It will remain unfinished.

So the question. Can I use Romax to wire this building?

Last edited by ray2047; 01-16-13 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Correct title typo.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Not an electrician....but pretty sure the answer is ...NOPE! Romex type cables need to be protected from damage where exposed AFAIK.

Conduit or some sort of raceway seems called for. You might find there's not a huge difference between running individual conductors inside conduit and Romex type cable.

Methods of attaching to all the beams is more commonly available for conduit than for cable....I THINK!

Pro's will be around...please stand by.

btw...what are "girts"?

Old 01-16-13, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Presuming the shop is considered part of your residence (and isn't a commercial building), NM-B (Romex) is fine for some areas.

NM-B can not be installed where it's subject to damage, usually defined as from the floor to about 6' high. It also can't be stretched across roof/ceiling/attic joists without a running board so you can't 'accidentally' use it as a clothes hanger or step on it if in an attic.

So while it is allowed, you'll probably end up sleeving so much of it, that I would certainly consider running EMT conduit for the whole thing. Definitely a bit more work, but it'll look a LOT better and be quite upgradable in the future.

Old 01-16-13, 01:04 PM
This shop is basically a Pole building. It has 2x6s mounted horizontally between the poles. I wonder if the wire is mounted under the 2x6s would this be considered protected?

Old 01-16-13, 02:43 PM
It has 2x6s mounted horizontally between the poles. I wonder if the wire is mounted under the 2x6s would this be considered protected?
It you're talking about something within 6' - 8' above the floor, then that's considered an area where the cable would be "subject to damage."

All electrical wiring, including data conductors, needs to be protected in conduit within that area.

I would just pipe the whole thing.

Old 01-19-13, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Running the cable on the bottom of the 2x6 (girts) would violate code as the cable would not be 1 1/4" away from the nailing face of the frameing member.

I feel your pain. I have wired a few pole barns and it is tough routing the cable where is will be protected. Best thing to do is to run the cable high and drop down where you need a device. That or use PVC, or EMT conduit.

Old 01-19-13, 07:09 AM
I was taught that if you put it right in the corner that it is considered protected attached to the bottom of joists. Not true?

Old 01-19-13, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
These are not joists, they are girts. In a pole building, they are the horizontal framing members that are are nailed to the poles, and the tin is then attached to the girts. Since this is the framing member that the finish material is attached to, it would be treated the same as a stud that drywall is attached to. This would require the cable to be 1 1/4" away from the nailing face(s).

Old 01-19-13, 12:57 PM
I was taught that if you put it right in the corner that it is considered protected attached to the bottom of joists. Not true?
.The piece you're asking about isn't a joist, cables should never be run in the corner formed be a framing member and covering material. They need to be kept no closer than 1-1/4" from each side of the framing member they're running along or passing through.