Bad Circuit

Old 01-16-13, 10:21 PM
Bad Circuit

We had a single pole 20amp breaker that had two lines connected to it (thanks to the cheap property manager from when we were renting.) Today the wife was running two space heaters and the microwave on the same circuit and the breaker tripped. After several attempts to get it back up, I figured we needed a new breaker. I bought a 2 pole 20amp and connected both circuits. One, fired up fine, the other nothing. I later realized the one that did fire up, had been working all along on the old breaker. I disconnected and reconnected the second but still nothing. There was a GFI on the second line and I thought that could be the problem, but it wasn't connected to any other outlets. I replaced it anyways but to no avail. Could the wires have fried? There is one other GFI but I haven't had a chance to check it out but I'm willing to bet my son's college $ it's not connected to other outlets since it is our sole outlet in the bathroom. This circuit is goofy. It has outlets in the living room, dining room, kitchen,bedroom, and one in the bathroom. Any light you might be able to shed would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 04:05 AM
Tracing Problem

T
This circuit is goofy. It has outlets in the living room, dining room, kitchen,bedroom, and one in the bathroom. Any light you might be able to shed would be greatly appreciated!
Does anything on this circuit work? If so, then check downstream for an open circuit condition.

Old 01-17-13, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to start tracing your wires to see what works and what doesn't. First choice would probably be a bad GFI, second choice would probably be a back-stabbed connection into a receptacle that loosened when you had the overload.

Old 01-17-13, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
It would be good to read this tutorial also: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 01-17-13, 09:59 AM
sounds like the original single circuit in a very old home

Old 01-17-13, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I read the tutorial after posting this thread. I will check backstbbed outlets and no, none of the outlets on this circuit are working. I will also replace the other GFI. Finally, yes, the house is old. Built in 1930, cap and tube. Any other advice is welcome.

Old 01-18-13, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Built in 1930, cap and tube.
If the wiring is K&T I wouldn't spend much time testing. I'd run all new. If you have access either above or below this can usually be done with little or no damage to the walls.