GFCI Outlet Installation - Not Working

Old 01-17-13, 10:05 AM
GFCI Outlet Installation - Not Working

Hi,

We recently purchased a house that was built in 1964. Most of the wiring (except for the kitchen) appears to be original. All of our bathrooms and kitchens have regular outlets in them and I bought some GFCI outlets to install to replace them. However, no matter where I have installed the GFCI, the outlet will not work. I know that I have installed the line and load correctly (and ground), the green light comes on in the GFCI, I push the Reset button, etc., but there is no power coming out of the outlet when I test it. Am I doing something wrong or could there be something downstream going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Be sure you haven't swapped either the neutral or hot to the wrong side. Both the power in neutral and hot must go to the line side. If either is on the wrong side it won't work.

As a test buy a different brand of GFCI and test. Getting a brand new product that doesn't work isn't unheard of.

Old 01-17-13, 12:16 PM
Thanks Ray, I'm almost 100% sure I did not mix them up and I tried different outlets in case I got a dud. Is there anything else you can think of? Thanks!

Old 01-17-13, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
If they are all the same brand they could all be duds which is why I wrote, "different brand". Do you have a multimeter (preferably analog) you can test with to see which cable for sure is hot? Just to state the obvious you did put the hot cable on the line side? Did you try with nothing connected to the load side?

Old 01-17-13, 08:05 PM
there is no power coming out of the outlet when I test it.
What are you using to test the receptacles? An analog multimeter, a GFCI receptacle tester, a non-contact voltage tester, or something else?

Old 01-18-13, 01:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What does the green light mean. Some are on to show tripped, others are power is on.

Are the wires securely under the clamps?