help with well pump wiring

Old 01-19-13, 02:45 PM
help with well pump wiring

How large a wire do I need to have for a 3/4 HP deep well submersible (non variable speed) pump? I may have to do a run of 500 feet. The pump will be down 200 feet with a 150 foot head. I need about 10-15 gallons per minute.

I know that the starting surge current is high and do not know if I need to do the current load (and wire size) on that basis or if I need to just accomidate the run current load.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-13, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Assuming the well will be running on 240 volts, generally stranded 10/3 wg well casing cable is used. It is yellow, flat and specifically made for well casings/direct burial. Only your water supply can determine the gpm flow. Will you have a well house or pump house over the installation? If so, since the well casing cable is so expensive, you can run 10-3 /wg UF (or 8/3 with long run) to the location, then drop the well casing cable from your switch into the well. Try to fill us in on the voltage, amperage, etc. on the pump you propose to use.

Old 01-20-13, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
I have moved the post to electrical because this is primarily an electrical question.

Do you have electric at the pump already? If so what size wire? If not what is the distance from the house (or other) panel that will supply power to the pump location? Just so we are all on the same page is the pump 240 volts? What is the full load amps?

Old 01-21-13, 11:26 AM
Page 11 | AIM Manual | Franklin Electric

#12 wire is good for 480 ft for a 3/4 HP pump. #10 is good for 760', assuming 60 deg C insulation.