Ground cable running to screen porch ?

Old 01-19-13, 05:17 PM
Ground cable running to screen porch ?

I purchased a home with a pool and noticed in my backyard I had a green ground cable that ran from the pool pump a few feet then split out, attached to my screen porch and went back underground.

At some point the cable running attached to the screen porch was cut.

Not being an electrician I was wanting to know why the ground was attached to the porch and if it was needed?

To help ground in case of lighting perhaps?

tia

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-13, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! How far from the pool motor is your screen porch? Is your porch metal or wood overall? The only protection from lightening is to kiss things goodbye. You won't survive a direct hit in all probability. Certainly not from a grounding wire. Too much voltage and amperage in a strike.

Old 01-19-13, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Creating an electrically safe environment in and around permanently installed swimming pools requires the installation of a bonding system with the sole function of establishing equal electrical potential (voltage) in the vicinity of the swimming pool.

That is from the code. I was looking for how many feet away from the pool must something metal be bonded. I had thought it was five feet. So I guess your pool filter is closer than five feet to the metal.

The # 8 green wire is supposed to be un-broken. In your case you may to lug or bug it back together.

Old 01-20-13, 09:54 AM
I measured and sure enough it is less then 5 feet from my metal screen porch. I will reattach the ground cable.

Thanks for the replies always good to know why ‚Äč You are doing something.