Wiring 220v tanning bed cord with 4 wires to 3 wire cord

Old 01-21-13, 04:04 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring 220v tanning bed cord with 4 wires to 3 wire cord

Hi,
Here is my question:

I have an older tanning bed SummerSun NG2400F made by wolff system-- dometic DR Kern edition. It says BZW 48 220V 60 Hz
It has a 4 wire cord coming out of the lid. RED, BLACK, WHITE & GREEN. It came with an ACME transformer: 120x240 .50 KVA 50/60 HZ 1 phase winding rise 100 deg C

There was a unique plug at the end of the 4 wire cord that was supposed to plug into the 3 wire cord coming out of the transformer. The other end coming out of the transformer box has the plug for the electrical outlet, which I am using my dryer outlet- 3 prong. This tanning bed worked at my old house. When we moved I don't know what happened to the unique connector that I mentioned and now it doesn't connect. So... I need to connect 4 wire to 3 wire cord. I was using a 220v his and her end. Using different combinations I was able to get some juice to the tanning bed and get parts of it running. I know the RED wire runs the fans and has to be connected.

Can ANYONE help? Do you need any more specifics?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 04:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your dryer plug is 240 volts so if the transformer has a 120 volt primary as you indicate it should not be plugged into a 240 volt receptacle. Are you sure this isn't a 240 volt buck/boost transformer designed to drop your 240 volt house current to 220 volts?

Old 01-21-13, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I cannot pull up any schematics on it, so if you could post a few pictures of the plugs, transformers, etc. we may be able to better help you with the connections.