Adding an additional panel box

Old 01-22-13, 05:33 AM
Adding an additional panel box

Good morning, i'm remodeling my basement, my home was build in 2010 (not by me) and the contractor build it to accomodate the upstairs only and did not account for any type of finishing downstairs.

Now that i'm framing walls and getting things going, i need to add a separate elec panel to the existing one. It's a 200A service, and I am looking to install another panel service directly next to the original one.

I was told by a local electrician that i can use a 100A box as long as the original is a 200A service. Looking to wire some lights, outlets, and baseboard heat along with a working bathroom (just to give some ideas on what im running)

I had already planned on having an electrician come out and make the final connection for me but getting some stuff started and in progress is where im at right now.

How would you go about making the connection from panel 1 (old), to panel 2 (new)

I apprecaite the time you took to read this and look forward to replies

Chris Spangler
Montgomery, PA

Last edited by spangler2k3; 01-22-13 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added a picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 05:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why do you need another panel? Is the original full? Studs hide inside of box so we can't see it.

Old 01-22-13, 06:44 AM
yes the original panel is full. thank you for taking the time to reply

Old 01-22-13, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd add a similar plywood backing next to your main panel and run a 1.25" PVC pipe between the two. Then simply pull 4 wires (H/H/N/G) and attach. Your new panel can be a Main Lug Only (MLO) panel, which means it doesn't have a main breaker. Often times though, getting a panel with a main breaker is cheaper. Doesn't matter either way.

Your new panel can be any size you want, you'll want to be sure you have enough spaces for the future. You could buy a 200A panel if you want, and feed it with a 100A breaker if you want. I'd think a 100 or 125A MLO 24-space panel would probably suit you just fine.

If you are going to work with an electrician, discuss with him before you buy stuff. Many electricians want to do the whole job beginning to end for liability reasons.