GFI Power outlets drives me nuts!

Old 01-24-13, 03:27 PM
GFI Power outlets drives me nuts!

I just signed up on this forum. I am painting and flooring contractor by trade. I live and do business in Miami FL.This past couple days I was going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my power outlets. I have 6 power outlets above my counter space in the kitchen, 2 of which do not work. So I bought a new GFI to replace it but that did not fix the problem. Its weird because the outlets is in the middle of the line, meaning itís the middle ones and not the last ones or the first ones. When I check the voltage I cannot get anything from black+white,but I do get voltage when I check black+green.Any of the pros here have any clue? Is the neutral wire shot somewhere inside the wall? Before I start opening walls to figure this out, I thought I would ask the guys that does this for a living. Sharp

Last edited by pcboss; 01-25-13 at 08:03 AM. Reason: readibility
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-13, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Not sure of the age of the house, but for the past 20 years it has been code to have two circuits for small appliances on the countertop of a kitchen. Do you have two GFCI receptacles? The circuits should be run to the GFCIs and then to the remaining receptacles from the load side of the GFCI, protecting all in line. From what you are telling us, you have a lifted or missing neutral, and it most likely is in one of the receptacles before this dead one, or at the GFCI. Like you, hopefully it isn't deeper. With the power off, remove the receptacles to see if a neutral is either loose, or not held securely under a cap. Incidentally, stab backs on receptacles are poor connections, so if you have any of them, I would remove the wires to the screws on the receptacle(s). Let us know what you find out.

Old 01-24-13, 04:26 PM
Its a brand new condo built in 2010 and like I mention before it has total of 6 GFI's in the kitchen.middle 2 don't work and have dead neutral.I only tried to mess with 2 of faulty ones,since all other 4 works fine!any idea?! i know its very weird.

I thank you for your answer

Old 01-24-13, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it possible these two GFCI's are running off another one of your 6 GFCI's that could be tripped. If you trip any or all of the GFCI's do they also run any other NON GFCI receptacle in the area? I have never heard of having so many GFCI's in a kitchen countertop situation. Only 2 circuits are required, but they have to be GFCI protected, and as mentioned, that protection can go to other receptacles on the countertop from the LOAD side of the GFCI. I misstated LINE on my previous post.

Old 01-24-13, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Incidentally, stab backs on receptacles are poor connections, so if you have any of them, I would remove the wires to the screws on the receptacle(
This applies only to the regular receptacles. GFCIs are commonly back wired which looks similar but isn't. Baxk wire connections use a metal plate pressed down by screws not the flimsy spring of back stabs.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-24-13 at 06:55 PM.