psychopomp: Adding Light To lamp

Old 01-24-13, 08:30 PM
psychopomp: Adding Light To lamp

hey, so here's the problem. I have a marble lamp. everything about is standard. I want to wire an extra bulb into the base so that when you click the switch both lights come on and the base glows. after going through several halogen lights and having them overheat I came up with a new plan: LEDs. the problem I'm now facing is that I can't find LEDs that are small enough to fit in the lamp and are bright enough to do 40-60W of power (or whatever the LED equivalent is) and also be compliant with 120V power. any ideas that aren't too complicated or require a ton of money?

thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-13, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Psycho......your problem really has nothing to do with this thread you jumped on. This should be a new thread all its own.

LED's come in all shapes, sizes and voltages. There may not be an of-the-shelf solution to your problem. You may need to buy a handful of LED's and a power supply.

Check out the following site......see if something strikes your fancy.

You could also consider a CFL (compact fluorescent) if you have the room.

LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

Old 01-24-13, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Post moved to its own thread to avoid confusion.

Old 01-25-13, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Here is part of what you need:

Click image

Image courtesy of grandbrassdotcom

This socket has provision to connect an auxiliary wire for a night light.
You need to watch the wattage of whatever bulb you install.....A lamp we own with a nightlight in the base uses a small 2 or 3 watt incandescent and still gets noticeably warm.

Old 01-25-13, 02:14 PM
thanks for the image, however, what I'm doing is I cut the cord and soldered 22 AWG speaker wire onto it, to run it up inside the lamp. I need to use something small and will be bright enough to radiate through the marble base which is about 1/2' thick, so incandescent is out. halogen is bright enough but overheats and pops after 10 minutes of being on. so I'm thinking fluorescent or LED. the problem is finding a bulb small enough to fit in the base but be bright enough to do illumination. if I were to buy mini christmas light strings and cut them would I be able to wire it up to my auxilliary wire without an inverter or are they on a series or what?

Old 01-25-13, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
I cut the cord and soldered 22 AWG speaker wire onto it, to run it up inside the lamp.
Caution! Never use speaker wire for line voltage. You have created a fire hazard. Unplug the lamp and do not use till the speaker wire has been removed.

Old 01-25-13, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Honestly, I think this might not be a project that would be safe to do without some basic electrical safety research.

I didn't at first notice that you said;
will be bright enough to radiate through the marble base which is about 1/2' thick
I have to say that to have a half inch slab of marble glow you would need many, many lumens of light output.
Trying incandescent you have found out that the heat generated will likely burn your house down and if you were to get the equivalent lumen output LED lamp you would exceed your "not costing a ton of money" requirement.

For your safety and the security of your wallet you will really need to find a different project.