Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need Help Fishing Electrical Wire Through Finished Walls *** Desperate ***

Old 01-25-13, 05:25 PM

I want to install a light fixture in the center of my dining room but am running into issues. I have opened up a hole in the center of the room and identified the direction of the beams. I found an outlet I want to use that would allow me to snake the wire along the beams without having to deal with crossing over the beams. The dining room wall boarders the 2nd floor foyer (about 16-18'). I opened up the sheet rock on the other side of the wall right up to the crown molding and used a 1/2" diameter 18" drill bit and drilled up into the stud. I tried to use a fish to snake the wire up into the stud to hit the ceiling and ultimately snake the wire towards the center of the room (light fixture hole). However, I keep hitting a "wall" even though I am past the beam. Judging from the wall on the foyer, the house must have a VERY thick beam (I even pounded on the wall and stabbed into it and I kept hitting into beam) or multiple stacked beams. I am not sure how I would be able to get the wire into the ceiling space unless I drilled a horizontal hole from the foyer side to intercept the hole within the beam to direct it towards the ceiling space. I spoke to my architect buddy who assured me it isn't a concern to do as they are small holes but it is still concerning me. I am just not sure what else to do. Please help.

Pics -> Image Viewer

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 06:42 PM
It sounds like you have the following holes cut, one at the new fixture location and one in the room adjacent to the dining room, if so, I think your going to have to cut a hole in the dining room ceiling touching the wall where the line is going to be run, and when you cut the whole I would make sure it is large enough to get a drill with a 6" bit up into it.

It sounds like you have a plate up there.

Old 01-25-13, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks like you might be under a beam. You also might be in a joist tail.

Old 01-25-13, 06:54 PM
bish80: Why would I need to cut into the ceiling? Isn't it possible to snake the line up through the wall into the ceiling and into the top plate and then eventually get to the center of the room through the column between the beams. With that said, what picture are you referring to? The wall with the opening seems to have a very tall beam or multiple beams preventing me from drilling a hole to fish the line.

pcboss: You are referring to the inner wall right? It must be a very tall beam because you can see it on the other side in the 2nd story foyer if you look at the finished walls just right. It seems to extend well into the 2nd floor bedroom above the dining room. What's a joist tail?

Old 01-25-13, 10:34 PM
bish80: Why would I need to cut into the ceiling?

You said that you have hit an obstruction after you drilled through the top plate, either there was something in the way or the "the house has thick beams."

After re-reading your description, I think that you have probably just drilled into the joist of the floor above and if you move the hole you drilled into the plate over 1 1/2 inches you might be able to fish. If that doesn't work, your going to have to bite the bullet and make that hole in the ceiling to find out whats in your way.....it could be anything including a the joist tail that pcboss referred to or an old header.

Old 01-26-13, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is very difficult to make a 90 degree bend on a fished cable. Normally two holes are cut, one in the wall, the other in the ceiling. This lets you feed into one while pulling in the other.

A joist tail is just the end of the joist where it sits on a support like a top plate of a wall.

Old 01-28-13, 09:46 AM
Here's a better explanation and I also updated the pictures for reference:

I have enclosed the floor plan and a few pictures of the dining room. We opened the center of the ceiling where the light fixture will be installed. From there, we confirmed the beams run horizontal from the outside of the house towards the middle of the house (foyer). We opened up the inner wall right below the crown molding and found a stud (See pictures #3-4) that extended about 4-6" below the crown molding with the goal of drilling into the stud and then snaking the wire up into the ceiling cavity to fish it off
the ceiling towards the center of the room. We used an 18" drill bit and my old man drilled on an angle and it went through the wall which we had to patch. We made another hole up into the stud to the end of the 18" bit but never made it through. If you look at pictures #5 and #6, you can see the other side of the wall which is the foyer that extends 2 floors. If you look at the wall from the foyer, you can actually see the horizontal line of where the studs appear to stop. They appear to extend up past our wedding picture nearly to the 2nd floor bedroom. Are there multiple beams on top of one another!? We took a screw driver and confirm stud ALL the way up to the 2nd floor bedroom by pushing it into the sheet rock. On the outside wall, we used a flat head and there was open space and NO stud nearly all the way up to the crown molding unlike the otherside. Should we assume that behind the crown molding is 2 2X4 or 2X6s? If so, we could drill up into that and then be in the open cavity of the ceiling. Correct? Why wouldn't the beam extend down below the crown molding like the other side?

Old 01-29-13, 08:08 PM
I have no answer for you, but I do have a question. When you drilled that hole with an 18" bit that didn't make it through, did the sawdust have a lot of different colors or come out flakey. I think you hit an engineered joist like the following.

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-13, 08:12 PM
I would say more flaky than dust.

Old 01-30-13, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Based on the stair wall I would say you will have a header to tie all the joists together. It will typically be the same dimensions as a joist but turned 90 degrees to the joists. The picture posted in post #8 will give you a goood idea. You will have a stud wall underneath with a double top plate on it.

Old 01-30-13, 04:22 PM
I think pcboss is correct. You can't go back now, you are going to have to suck it up and cut the hole in the ceiling.

Old 01-30-13, 09:42 PM
I can't get to the ceiling from that beam. I am going to the outside wall that just has a typical double 2X4 or 2X6 instead.

Old 01-30-13, 11:02 PM
I can't get to the ceiling from that beam.
X was suggesting that you get to the beam through a hole in the ceiling, not the other way around.