moving branch circuit

Old 01-26-13, 09:12 PM
moving branch circuit

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about running some 12-2 wire.
I'm installing a motion light on the outside of the garage under the eave. I need to run wire to this spot since there is no fixture present. I'm thinking of pulling a permit for this as I believe I'm supposed to. Its a fairly simple run, but I'm no expert. The wiring runs up in the attic. I'm disconnecting a line that ran to an old powered roof fan. Its on a 20A circuit that also had an old central vac connected to it but is no longer used. I'm going to use a 4" metal octagon box where I'll splice in my new run then over some ceiling joists down the garage wall to a single pole switch, then back up to the attic then over to the front of the garage where it drops down the wall about a foot and will exit to the front of the garage above the overhead door. It will go to a outdoor gang box where the light will mount. Is there anything obvious they look for? Is it ok to run on top of joists or should I drill holes so the wire can run below the top of the joists? Will they go up in the attic when they inspect?
Should I bother with a permit? Friends have told me 95% of people wouldn't bother.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-13, 06:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best place to check about a permit is your local building office. You can ask about installing a new light. Some locales will flat out tell you it's not necessary, some places have a 'homeowner's deal' that is an inexpensive permit cost for small projects, and some places will tell you it's $200 for an electrical permit. So your mileage may vary. But it certainly doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Is the attic 'accessible' where you're going to be running these wires? If someone might be walking near there, they have to be run on or next to running boards, so someone doesn't acidentally step on them.

If the wire drops down on the exterior of the house, it has to be UF (outdoor rated). If it's all on the inside except when it pops out into the back of the weatherproof box, it can all be standard NM-B. The oct box you use for the splice needs to remain accessible.

There may be other considerations, but it pretty much sounds like you have it planned out pretty well.

And btw, welcome to the forums!

Old 01-27-13, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One thing to consider is the large header above the garage door. It may prevent you from getting the cable where you need it.

The grounds will need to be spliced and connected to the metal box. For your splice you can use a regular plastic box and a blank cover.