Wiring with Metal Studs

Old 02-02-01, 10:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm helping a friend with wiring a basement. They want to use metal studs instead of wood. What special considerations do I need to follow with metal? Questions come to mind such as;
1) what is the recommended method of securing the NM cable to the stud? Obviously, the standard wire staples won't work.
2) are there any special requirements/trick for boxes (mounting, etc)?

I haven't seen anything documented in any books for metal studs. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-01, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The new February 2001 issue of Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine has an excellent article on D-I-Y installation of metal studs, how to handle boxes and wiring, etc. (with color photos).
It answers all of your questions.
If you've never worked with metal studs before (and I haven't), you definitely should get this article.
If you can't find an issue, email me. Mike
Good Luck!

Old 02-03-01, 09:41 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Romex is allowed to be used with metal studs however wherever that romex passes through a metal stud you must use a grommet approved for the purpose to protect that romex from the sharp edge of the metal stud.

There are boxes designed to be screwed to the metal studs where desired.

Supporting the romex as required is done by clips designed for the purpose. Check with Caddy manufacturing or a Caddy book. You should find what you need for supporting romex to a metal stud. There are other manufacturers that make equipment for romex wiring of metal studs. Just check around or contact an electrical wholesale house. This metal stud wiring design is not a subject you should ask advise about from a normal salesman. Be sure the advise is coming from a skilled trademan and you electrical inspector.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: