15 amp circuit Completely Stumped! Need help

Old 01-27-13, 07:44 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
15 amp circuit Completely Stumped! Need help

Hey Guys;

I have a 15amp circuit that has thrown me for a complete loop. The issue is there are 8 outlets all plugs nothing more and each is giving 122.7 volts. There is nothing plugged into the circuit until I test it. 1st how the problem presented itself; I plugged my compressor into the first plug on the circuit, and everything was fine, then I move it to the 4th plug and I noticed the compressor was a little reluctant to start, then I moved it to the last plug and it wouldn't start at all...... Huh? I pulled out my volt meter and I was getting the 122.7 volts on every plug in the circuit. I pulled all the plugs and they all appear to be fine. All looked to be properly installed, and I even pulled the plugs and replaced them with twisted wire and marrets. After none of that worked I pulled the breaker and replaced it which didn't fix the issue. The whole circuit is a 15 amp circuit wired up with 14/2 gauge wire and in no more than 50' of wire. Does anybody have any ideas? I have no idea what is going on and have no idea hoe to test it.

Cheers

James

Old 01-27-13, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Plug your compressor in to the furthest receptacle away from the panel........fire up the compressor and check the voltage at the same time from that receptacle.

Old 01-28-13, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
15 amp circuit at it's end could have voltage drop to a point to where your compressor won't run. What is the starting amperage on the compressor, and is it rated close to 15 amps running. If so, you are overloading your circuit. Test it as PJ suggests, I think you will find a definite drop in voltage. You could even have stab back connections on the receptacles which are poor connections at best. Remove all the receptacles and place the wires under the screws as it was intended. You may see a difference there, as well.

Old 01-28-13, 06:47 AM
A
Thanks for the replies I will try the voltage drop measure and let you know how it goes but the issues aren't only present on the compressor plugging in a radio sometimes acts wonky. I did measure the voltage at the last plug and it was the same at all the others, 122.7 volts. Also I never use stab-locks I only ever use screws.

Old 01-28-13, 08:04 AM
N
I think chandler is right on, depending on the start current for the compressor, there might be enough voltage drop to the end of the line to keep it from starting.

I was also going to ask how those 8 receps were connected... as Chandler stated, back-stabbed may have weak contact, and if 8 in a row are daisychained with weak contacts, the one at the end of the run is going to suffer the most. But even if they're not back-stabbed, I'd check the connections on all... if pigtailed, check all the wirenuts in each box.

Old 01-28-13, 11:31 AM
A
I have pulled all the plugs and checked the connections and all are nice an tight on the screws. The weird thing is that when I split the circuit and make it only 4 receps I still have the same issues.

Old 01-28-13, 11:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What is the full load amps (FLA) of the compressor? Do you have a clamp on amp meter?

Old 01-30-13, 06:57 PM
A
So I plugged the compressor in and measured the voltage drop and I was getting 96 volts in the circuit. Any ideas? Does that help at all?

Old 01-30-13, 07:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You could try each receptacle going backwards till you find one that ~ 110 volts and starts the compressor. Most likely your problem would be a connection in that receptacle or the next one.

Old 01-30-13, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You plugged the compressor in and at the last receptacle you measured 96 volts.
So....now with compressor running, working quickly, measure from receptacle to receptacle backwards....like Ray suggested.
It almost seems like what you are experiencing is normal based on a heavy draw compressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: