acceptable wiring run

Old 01-27-13, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
acceptable wiring run

Im running 12-2 wiring to an outdoor motion light above the overhead garage door. Is this acceptable to just drop the wire out of the ceiling like in this photo? Just a rough attic above with wiring. I'm going to staple it to the beam above the door to make it neat, but didn't know if this would pass code/inspection. Would it need some kind of conduit?
Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-13, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! No need to duplicate posts. We read them all.

No, the cable must be protected. I would opt to drill up through the header and into the attic space, running the cable there. You can always use WireMold products to encase the cable and protect it that way.

Old 01-28-13, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could I use flexible metal conduit for the section of the exposed cable in the photo and anchor it to the header?

Old 01-28-13, 02:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, that would work. You would need to use a metal box and the proper connector for the flex. You would have to drill a large enough hole in the siding to accommodate the connector out the back of the box. Connect the flex conduit to the back of the box first then install the box caulking between the box and wall except at the bottom of the box. Use a connector on the end of the flex conduit in the attic to act as a bushing and secure the cable close to the end of the flex.