3 way dimmer issue

Old 01-31-13, 02:17 PM
3 way dimmer issue

First timer here but need some help. I've been browsing the forums but can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

Ive installed a new dimmer switch on a three way connection (two switches control the chandelier). I've installed the dimmer according to the instructions. Ground to ground. Black wore to black wire, red wire to black wire on other side of switch and red/white switch red wire. For some reason the switch will only work and the light will only turn on if the other switch is in the on position.

So basically the dimmer switch must be on the I can control the other non dimmer switch and turn the light on and off. If I turn the dimmer off then the other light switch won't turn the chandelier on. So confused as to why this aunt working. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 02:20 PM
Basically both switches must be on fit the chandelier to work.

Old 01-31-13, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
I've installed the dimmer according to the instructions. Ground to ground. Black wore to black wire, red wire to black wire on other side of switch and red/white switch red wire.
Except for the ground you can not install a dimmer switch base on the house wire colors. House wire colors are not mandated by code but are at the option of the installer If the dimmer has two blacks and a red the red probably* goes to the common. What color wire was on the common of the old switch.

*Verify in the dimmer instructions that red is common.

Old 01-31-13, 02:44 PM
The dimmer has one black, one red and one white/red wire and green ground. The wires coming from my electrical socket are two black and a red. I connected black from dimmer to black, red from dimmer to black and red/white from dimmer to red. I don't remember which colour went on the common. Am I screwed now. The common is the one that was attached to the different colour screw right?

Old 01-31-13, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Not necessarily. First which wire of the dimmer is common according to its instructions? Check the color wire on the other switches common and try the same color as common for the dimmer side.

Old 01-31-13, 04:16 PM
The common is the one that was attached to the different colour screw right?
Yes. It is also either the only one of the three wires that gets energized when all of the wires are disconnected and the breaker is turned on, regardless of the position of the other 3-way switch, or the only the only one of the three wires that doesn't get energized when all of the wires are disconnected and the breaker is is turned on, regardless of the position of the other 3-way switch. You can determine this by using a multimeter to test each wire for voltage to neutral or ground.

Or you can pull the other switch out of its box and, without disconnecting any of the wires, tell us how everything is connected there.

Old 01-31-13, 04:25 PM
I figured it out. I was attaching the common wire to the wrong dimmer wire. I would never have figured that out without the help. Thank you so much!

Old 01-31-13, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.