Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing a generator inlet in an exposed outdoor location.

Old 02-01-13, 07:06 AM

I am installing a generator inlet outside. I would appreciate if someone could help me understand if my points below are kosher or if I need to do something differently?

I am installing a generator inlet to backfeed my load center with a Interlock kit.

My plan is to run 10/3 w ground Romex to a junction point connect thwn wire at that point through a pvc conduit outside to connect my generator inlet.

My gas meter is indoors and due to access restrictions (finished basement) and where my load center is the best place to drill through the house is and mount my generator inlet is 3 feet away from the indoor gas meter. I've heard that I'm supposed to have the inlet at least 10ft away from my meter. But since the meter is indoors and the inlet is going to be mounted outside the house. Is this ok?

Does anyone see anything not kosher with my plan so far?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-13, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
You will need an in-use cover not just a flap on the inlet. The wiring method is okay but we can't comment on wire size without knowing the amp output of the generator.

Old 02-01-13, 07:25 AM
Sorry about that. It's a 5000 watt Honda generator. I'll be using a 30 amp double pole breaker in my circuit panel.

Do you have any recomendations on a in use cover?

Old 02-01-13, 08:26 AM
Since your generator can supply roughly 21 amps at 240V, a 30A 240V breaker and #10 AWG wire is the right fit.

If you are planning to run your 10-2/G cable through the wall and directly into the box the inlet is mounted in, you do not need to transition to Type THWN wiring. Just use a weatherproof connector to connect your Type NM cable to the back of the box. Seal the top and sides of the box, where it meets the house, with caulk. Leave the bottom unsealed.

If you really want to sleeve the wiring through the wall then yes, splice the wires in an interior, covered J-box.

Any in-use cover that will close completely while the cord from the generator is connected to the inlet is the one you need.

Old 02-01-13, 09:41 AM
Did you say you are connectiong to a double pole breaker in your panel?? That is illegal and dangerous......You have to have a fail safe way of connection to your panel A double throw switch, a generator panel kit, or a interlock kit. As for your outlet I would suggest a Reliance PBN30 as it has a neat feature that helps protect it from weather. You could do a generator panel with a built in receptacle too, if you can run a 10/4 cord to it. I have a Reliance 6 circuit panel with a L1430 receptacle in it and a 50' cord to my generator. Your situation may be different than mine as far as panel location etc. but unless I mis-read your post do not run your generator directly to a breaker in your panel....WAY too dangerous....

Old 02-01-13, 10:14 AM
Nashkat, Thanks I'll take your suggestion to run the Romex directly into the back of the inlet box and seal off. Less splicing for me anyways.

Jim, I'll be using a square d interlock kit to lock out the main breaker. And I like that PBN30 box from Reliance you suggested. I think I'll go that route. I did buy the standard Reliance PB30 that is stocked at Home Depot. The clerk had told me that it was rated for rain? Maybe he was misinformed?

Old 02-01-13, 10:30 AM
The PB30 is rain tight but only when the lid is closed. That does present a problem for people so we suggest the PBN30. A true "in use" cover would work well too, if you can find one big enough.....

Old 02-01-13, 11:23 AM
Thanks Everyone for all your help!