need help wiring a 3/4 hp 40 amp electric motor

Old 02-01-13, 03:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool need help wiring a 3/4 hp 40 amp electric motor

I work for a snow plow company in Chicago and I have an issue with a salt spreader that is designed to run on a gas powered small engine like our other trucks, but it has been modified to run off of an electric motor. It has a battery isolation switch ran to a battery with 8 or 10 gauge wiring running directly into the cab and the driver controls this switch on and off to operate the spreader this is all good until the spreader jams up; then the switch becomes very hot and starts to melt. now I am no electrician, but isn't there better a way to wire a heavy duty remote switch like a solenoid that receives a signal from a switch to engage the high amp motor from outside the cab and shouldn't there be a safety device like a breaker or fuse somewhere in the setup any advise on what to do or where to look for answers would greatly be appreciated

Old 02-01-13, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
You should be using a relay/contactor like the following:
Solenoids & Relays | Steel & Phenolic Body Solenoids24059 | Cole Hersee - Littelfuse

and a circuit breaker like:
Bussmann Hi-Amp Reset Circuit Breaker - 100 Amps : Amazon.com : Automotive

I just left you the links to show you what I use. The circuit breaker and contactor would go near the supply battery for the salter.

Old 02-01-13, 06:49 PM

Yes......the control switch in the cab should be a low amp pilot duty switch only.....controlling a solenoid mounted at the electric motor.

Is this a 12 volt starter type motor?.....is it directly coupled to the spreader or does it drive a small hydraulic pump?

Old 02-18-13, 10:10 PM
C
thanks for the help

so i wired it up as explain and it runs great! thanx so much that is such a safer way to do this much thanks to all

Old 02-18-13, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Awesome !! That's great news.....much safer now too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: